Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    132
    Location
    Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota L-39

    Default Hardened cutting blade

    I'm looking for a source for hardened cutting blades at a reasonable price. I read a post on here that someone was paying $2.00 a foot but cant find it again. That seems to good to be true from the prices I've seen.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    6,553

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    You mean the bolt on edge for the FEL bucket?

    If so, you ain't gonna find anything for $2 a foot. Not even hotdogs are that cheap!

    Quality is 10x - 15x - 20x that price. Depends on what you want.

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,830
    Location
    Foster, RI
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Afish

    Try Shuette Manufacturing in Wisconsin. I just bought a 1/2 x 6" x 60" w/o holes blade for $40. With shipping it came to $72, Still $50 cheaper than what I could buy it locally even with the freight charge. I don't think you would be able to approach $2 per foot even if it weren't hardened. I have seen some charge $2 per inch for hardened steel.

  4. #4
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,376
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Try a construction co.. you can usually get 'leftover' curring blade sections.. sometimes free.

    soundguy

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,628
    Location
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Tractor
    JD4300

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    I had a used edge off a county grader given to me a few years back. It was in the budget so they got a new one, had to "hide" the used one. Quite often the replace them over the winter (slow time) and might have one kicking around....Our roads crew is good that way, they figure our tax dollars bought the stuff new so residents get first grabs on the old stuff

  6. #6
    Gold Member GIJOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    251
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Tractor
    MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Try this web site. Discount Steel - The widest selection of steel, aluminum and other metals at discount prices.
    Click on "steel" then "hot roll" then "beveled cutting edge". You can buy it in any length with no minimum $$ amount.

    Joe
    The original point and click interface was a Colt.

    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.

  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    324
    Location
    Extreme Northern Wisconsin
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    You mean the bolt on edge for the FEL bucket?

    If so, you ain't gonna find anything for $2 a foot. Not even hotdogs are that cheap!

    Dairy Queen has footlongs that cheap!!!

    I think there is a post on here on hardening and tempering steel somewhere here.

    Yes it can be rough science for "back barn professors" Some heat-treaters I dealt professionally with was either an artist or they had a science to it. Note these were major companies too!
    "My tractors do not make up for my lack of manhood, but rather make up for my lack of childhood"

    -JD 2210, 200CX FEL, 52" MMM, and some addtions
    -78 Case 446
    -80ish 12 HP Workhorse

  8. #8
    Platinum Member Matt_Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    598
    Location
    linden, Virginia
    Tractor
    BX 24

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Not quite an exact scientific approach, but I've modified stuff at work by heating it up with a torch and dropping it in cold water. You can use oil too. I like water. Any how the process forces the steel to trap the carbon and other stuff in the steel between the molecules to make it harder. I don't know how well this works on all types of steel but I've been doin' it for years. I know they do this to make swords too. Picture below comes from
    Metalsmith V 21.3 Quenching Steel by Pete Stanaitis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -quench-gif  
    Last edited by Matt_Jr; 04-17-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    -Matt

    "There is nothing more exhilarating then being shot at and missed." -Winston Churchhill

    "I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds." -Louis Nizer

  9. #9
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    137
    Location
    North Al.

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Jr
    Not quite an exact scientific approach, but I've modified stuff at work by heating it up with a torch and dropping it in cold water. You can use oil too. I like water. Any how the process forces the steel to trap the carbon and other stuff in the steel between the molecules to make it harder. I don't know how well this works on all types of steel but I've been doin' it for years. I know they do this to make swords too. Picture below comes from
    Metalsmith V 21.3 Quenching Steel by Pete Stanaitis
    I thought tempering steel required you to lower the tempture at a slow rate. If you just drop the hot steel into water and "DROP" the tempture you would have weaked the steel as apposed to harded it. I've read thats why they use a type of oil. It does'nt drop the temp and some of the oil is trapped in the pores and for a short time fights off oxidation.
    Its alot easier to ask a stupid question than fix a stupid mistake:
    1997 JD 5300 w/ 540 LDR, MX6 cutter

  10. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    324
    Location
    Extreme Northern Wisconsin
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

    Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

    Quote Originally Posted by exiled
    I thought tempering steel required you to lower the tempture at a slow rate. If you just drop the hot steel into water and "DROP" the tempture you would have weaked the steel as apposed to harded it. I've read thats why they use a type of oil. It does'nt drop the temp and some of the oil is trapped in the pores and for a short time fights off oxidation.
    Yes Tempering is cooling it slowly making it less brittle. Heat-treating is quenching it aka droping in water like Matt posted. If I am wrong correct me??

    Dan
    "My tractors do not make up for my lack of manhood, but rather make up for my lack of childhood"

    -JD 2210, 200CX FEL, 52" MMM, and some addtions
    -78 Case 446
    -80ish 12 HP Workhorse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.