Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L-39

Default Hardened cutting blade

I'm looking for a source for hardened cutting blades at a reasonable price. I read a post on here that someone was paying $2.00 a foot but cant find it again. That seems to good to be true from the prices I've seen.

Default Re: Hardened cutting blade

You mean the bolt on edge for the FEL bucket?

If so, you ain't gonna find anything for $2 a foot. Not even hotdogs are that cheap!

Quality is 10x - 15x - 20x that price. Depends on what you want.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Afish

Try Shuette Manufacturing in Wisconsin. I just bought a 1/2 x 6" x 60" w/o holes blade for $40. With shipping it came to $72, Still $50 cheaper than what I could buy it locally even with the freight charge. I don't think you would be able to approach $2 per foot even if it weren't hardened. I have seen some charge $2 per inch for hardened steel.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Try a construction co.. you can usually get 'leftover' curring blade sections.. sometimes free.

soundguy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

I had a used edge off a county grader given to me a few years back. It was in the budget so they got a new one, had to "hide" the used one. Quite often the replace them over the winter (slow time) and might have one kicking around....Our roads crew is good that way, they figure our tax dollars bought the stuff new so residents get first grabs on the old stuff

Tractor
    MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL

Try this web site. Discount Steel - The widest selection of steel, aluminum and other metals at discount prices.
    Click on "steel" then "hot roll" then "beveled cutting edge". You can buy it in any length with no minimum $$ amount.

Joe
    The original point and click interface was a Colt.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    You mean the bolt on edge for the FEL bucket?

If so, you ain't gonna find anything for $2 a foot. Not even hotdogs are that cheap!

Dairy Queen has footlongs that cheap!!!

I think there is a post on here on hardening and tempering steel somewhere here.

Yes it can be rough science for "back barn professors" Some heat-treaters I dealt professionally with was either an artist or they had a science to it. Note these were major companies too!
    "My tractors do not make up for my lack of manhood, but rather make up for my lack of childhood"

-JD 2210, 200CX FEL, 52" MMM, and some addtions
    -78 Case 446
    -80ish 12 HP Workhorse

Tractor
    BX 24

Not quite an exact scientific approach, but I've modified stuff at work by heating it up with a torch and dropping it in cold water. You can use oil too. I like water. Any how the process forces the steel to trap the carbon and other stuff in the steel between the molecules to make it harder. I don't know how well this works on all types of steel but I've been doin' it for years. I know they do this to make swords too. Picture below comes from
    Metalsmith V 21.3 Quenching Steel by Pete Stanaitis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -quench-gif  
    Last edited by Matt_Jr; 04-17-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    -Matt

"There is nothing more exhilarating then being shot at and missed." -Winston Churchhill

"I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds." -Louis Nizer

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Jr
    Not quite an exact scientific approach, but I've modified stuff at work by heating it up with a torch and dropping it in cold water. You can use oil too. I like water. Any how the process forces the steel to trap the carbon and other stuff in the steel between the molecules to make it harder. I don't know how well this works on all types of steel but I've been doin' it for years. I know they do this to make swords too. Picture below comes from
    Metalsmith V 21.3 Quenching Steel by Pete Stanaitis
    I thought tempering steel required you to lower the tempture at a slow rate. If you just drop the hot steel into water and "DROP" the tempture you would have weaked the steel as apposed to harded it. I've read thats why they use a type of oil. It does'nt drop the temp and some of the oil is trapped in the pores and for a short time fights off oxidation.
    Its alot easier to ask a stupid question than fix a stupid mistake:
    1997 JD 5300 w/ 540 LDR, MX6 cutter

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Quote Originally Posted by exiled
    I thought tempering steel required you to lower the tempture at a slow rate. If you just drop the hot steel into water and "DROP" the tempture you would have weaked the steel as apposed to harded it. I've read thats why they use a type of oil. It does'nt drop the temp and some of the oil is trapped in the pores and for a short time fights off oxidation.
    Yes Tempering is cooling it slowly making it less brittle. Heat-treating is quenching it aka droping in water like Matt posted. If I am wrong correct me??

Dan
    "My tractors do not make up for my lack of manhood, but rather make up for my lack of childhood"

-JD 2210, 200CX FEL, 52" MMM, and some addtions
    -78 Case 446
    -80ish 12 HP Workhorse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast