Hardened cutting blade

/ Hardened cutting blade #1  

afish

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
I'm looking for a source for hardened cutting blades at a reasonable price. I read a post on here that someone was paying $2.00 a foot but cant find it again. That seems to good to be true from the prices I've seen.

/ Hardened cutting blade #2  
You mean the bolt on edge for the FEL bucket?

If so, you ain't gonna find anything for $2 a foot. Not even hotdogs are that cheap!

Quality is 10x - 15x - 20x that price. Depends on what you want.

/ Hardened cutting blade #3  
Afish

Try Shuette Manufacturing in Wisconsin. I just bought a 1/2 x 6" x 60" w/o holes blade for $40. With shipping it came to $72, Still $50 cheaper than what I could buy it locally even with the freight charge. I don't think you would be able to approach $2 per foot even if it weren't hardened. I have seen some charge $2 per inch for hardened steel.

/ Hardened cutting blade #4  
Try a construction co.. you can usually get 'leftover' curring blade sections.. sometimes free.

soundguy

/ Hardened cutting blade #5  
I had a used edge off a county grader given to me a few years back. It was in the budget so they got a new one, had to "hide" the used one. Quite often the replace them over the winter (slow time) and might have one kicking around....Our roads crew is good that way, they figure our tax dollars bought the stuff new so residents get first grabs on the old stuff

/ Hardened cutting blade #7  
john_bud said:
You mean the bolt on edge for the FEL bucket?

If so, you ain't gonna find anything for $2 a foot. Not even hotdogs are that cheap!

Dairy Queen has footlongs that cheap!!!:D

I think there is a post on here on hardening and tempering steel somewhere here.

Yes it can be rough science for "back barn professors" Some heat-treaters I dealt professionally with was either an artist or they had a science to it. Note these were major companies too!

/ Hardened cutting blade #8  
Not quite an exact scientific approach, but I've modified stuff at work by heating it up with a torch and dropping it in cold water. You can use oil too. I like water. Any how the process forces the steel to trap the carbon and other stuff in the steel between the molecules to make it harder. I don't know how well this works on all types of steel but I've been doin' it for years. I know they do this to make swords too. Picture below comes from
Metalsmith V 21.3 Quenching Steel by Pete Stanaitis

Attachments

• quench.gif
    quench.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
   / Hardened cutting blade #9  
Matt_Jr said:
Not quite an exact scientific approach, but I've modified stuff at work by heating it up with a torch and dropping it in cold water. You can use oil too. I like water. Any how the process forces the steel to trap the carbon and other stuff in the steel between the molecules to make it harder. I don't know how well this works on all types of steel but I've been doin' it for years. I know they do this to make swords too. Picture below comes from
Metalsmith V 21.3 Quenching Steel by Pete Stanaitis

I thought tempering steel required you to lower the tempture at a slow rate. If you just drop the hot steel into water and "DROP" the tempture you would have weaked the steel as apposed to harded it. I've read thats why they use a type of oil. It does'nt drop the temp and some of the oil is trapped in the pores and for a short time fights off oxidation.

/ Hardened cutting blade #10  
exiled said:
I thought tempering steel required you to lower the tempture at a slow rate. If you just drop the hot steel into water and "DROP" the tempture you would have weaked the steel as apposed to harded it. I've read thats why they use a type of oil. It does'nt drop the temp and some of the oil is trapped in the pores and for a short time fights off oxidation.

Yes Tempering is cooling it slowly making it less brittle. Heat-treating is quenching it aka droping in water like Matt posted. If I am wrong correct me??

Dan