Combo Quick Hitch Adapter and Trailer Hitch

/ Combo Quick Hitch Adapter and Trailer Hitch #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
As noted in another thread, I recently purchased a KK landscape rake that is not i-Match compatible. Since this situation was unacceptable, I decided to make an adapter for this attachment. The adapter also works for a KK carryall and has a trailer hitch receiver.

I used a drawbar from Tractor Supply and added tabs made from 1/2" X 3" bar stock with 7/8" holes to pick up the lower pins. The upright pieces are
2 1/2" X 1/4" angle drilled with 3/4" holes to pick up the top link hook and a short top link to attach the adapter to the impliment. The top link adapter consists of two pieces of 2" X 1/4" bar stock with a short angle clip welded between for spacing.

Pics only show it attached to the quick hitch and to one attachment because I haven't had a chance to hook everything up together yet, but it looks like it should work OK.

Attachments

• 4-20-08 001 B.JPG
    4-20-08 001 B.JPG
    498.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 4-20-08 003 B.JPG
    4-20-08 003 B.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 830
  • 4-20-08 005 B.JPG
    4-20-08 005 B.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 918
   / Combo Quick Hitch Adapter and Trailer Hitch
Don't want to beat it to death, but here are a couple of more pics of the adapter working with the landscape rake.

Attachments

• 4-27-08 006 B.JPG
    4-27-08 006 B.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 2,002
  • 4-27-08 004 B.JPG
    4-27-08 004 B.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 837
   / Combo Quick Hitch Adapter and Trailer Hitch #3  
Wow. like it.I am just simply always amazed to see how people build things they need.It inspires ideas for us all, and there tends to be offspring ideas too that people build.
Making the tractor world a better place for us all.

/ Combo Quick Hitch Adapter and Trailer Hitch #4  
Nice work Runner. What was the issue with the KK not fitting? It looks like the bottom pins would work if they were long enough. Is the top hook to high or low or is it the way the angle reinforcement on the rake gets in the way with the top hook?

bx24,

Thanks.

It was a combination of all those things. While it looks like it would fit width-wise from the pic, it is actually about 1/4 inch too wide to fit between the bottom hooks on the iMatch. The top was also a little high, and there was all kinds of structure in the way that would keep the top hook from hitting the top pin.

The carryall had similar problems, so I decided to make the hitch fit them both.

Now, I just need to get my gauge wheels adapted to the rake and I'll be in business....

/ Combo Quick Hitch Adapter and Trailer Hitch #7  
I have been into tractor stuff now for a couple of years, and I am still surprised at how "non-standard" standard 3 point hitches are. Oh well, I am sure it was much worse before the current standards were established.

To be fair, I bet the larger you go with 3 point hitches, the more standard things become.

I will save some of your pics and try to follow in your footsteps Runner

After building it, I got to thinking it would be nice to have some way to have the tabs that pick up the lower implement pins mounted on some kind of a saddle that could slide laterally on the drawbar. Then, it could be easily adjusted for any spacing needed. Maybe something as simple as a couple of plates connected with bolts, with the drawbar sandwiched in the middle.

Also, I thought it would be neat to have an adjustable toplink for this too, however, even the shortest one I saw at Tractor Supply was too long (12 inches or something like that). However, it would be fairly easy to make an adjustable toplink by using a big bolt and nut, each welded to some flat bar stock.