How I attached hooks to bucket--photo

/ How I attached hooks to bucket--photo #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
002.JPG

I have seen a lot of ways to attach a hook to a bucket but here is what I like to do. Get a thick piece of flat steel and bend it to fit the shape of the bucket. Weld it to the bucket and then weld the hook to that. Gives a lot more strength and is cleaner looking as not all buckets conform to the hook but the plate does. For these types of install I look real hard to try and find a USA made grade 70 hook and not an import.
This may be old news but I have not seen this way on this board before so I hope this is not a duplicate.

Last edited:
   / How I attached hooks to bucket--photo #2  
the mounting plate is an important part of the hook which distributes the heat from the weld but (likely) more importantly distributes the weigth across a greater surface area of the bucket. without, bending the bucket may be more likley.

/ How I attached hooks to bucket--photo #3  
My only question would be, after going through all that effort, why weld on a "pin on" hook rather than use a "weld on" hook that is made to be welded on? :confused: They cost about the same and the weld on hook is designed to be welded on and offers greater strength. Other than that, based on over 30 years of welding experience, you did a great job. The base plate is a must if there isn't already one on the bucket (some heavier buckets already have 1/4" plate on the top) and you put the hook in line with the lift arm.

/ How I attached hooks to bucket--photo #4  
Note how the welded on pin hook angle follows the angle of the bucket edge.:D :D

/ How I attached hooks to bucket--photo
Put on the pin type because I had it and it fit.

Might have put on the "weld-on" type but never heard of it. Where do you get these?

/ How I attached hooks to bucket--photo #7  
sixdogs said:
Put on the pin type because I had it and it fit.

Might have put on the "weld-on" type but never heard of it. Where do you get these?

It's not too late. Grind off the extra ear, and you have one. ;)

Thanks SimS and have_blue. think I'll keep the remaining ear but have been looking to pick up some USA hooks so I'll toss in a few of the weld-on ears and next time around I'll be good to go. I like them but never knew they existed.
Thanks and after my time at FT Polk in the late '60's I came to love most things Cajun--other than Ft Polk and most of the water type snakes. You guys hunt any birds down there like quail or ?.

/ How I attached hooks to bucket--photo #9  
Why not just continue using the the ones you are and also leaving the pin with a piece of chain attached to it?:D :D

Egon said:
Why not just continue using the the ones you are and also leaving the pin with a piece of chain attached to it?:D :D

I plan to. New hooks would be for future things I don't own yet.
Have lifted thousand of lbs with those hooks many times--i use as a grab hook for the chain-and no probs. I'd say the weld held.
What I do is connect a chain between the two hooks and keep it sort of tight. Then I have a 3 ft piece with a grab and slip hook on it and I hook the grab hook to the middle of the chain and wrap around a part of what I am picking up. Works great, I'll post a photo whan I get a chance.