Bad mig welds

/ Bad mig welds #21  
I would'nt trade my hot glue gun for anything . Once you know the limitations and are aware of things that cause problems they are very good . The main thing is to keep the tips clean , especially when welding underhand as the spatter falls into the tip . Also make sure the gun lead is as straight as possible to allow unimpeded flow of the wire . They are unbeatable for rust repairs , hold the patch on the panel with a screwdriver , a few spots around it with the mig and the repair is done .

/ Bad mig welds #22  
Sully2 said:
It helps if the operator is smarter than the machine...and the more complex the machine the smarter one has to be. Lets see..?..a single stick melted by an electric current...Hmmmm:eek:

How's your forge welding?
I'm proficient in that too. I guess I'm an idiot.

/ Bad mig welds #23  
Arc welding is unbeatable for many applications , for welding outdoors in the wind , also they are very versatile as you can weld many different types of steels only needing a few different rods to be carried around . Hardfacing cutting edges and track grousers etc in the field can only be done with a stick welder . By using cutting rods and carbon gouging rods you can cut steel and gouge out cracks for re welding . You can even weld under water with them . Ive welded two rods together and bent them to get down into a confined space to stop a stud from turning so i could undo it . It's horses for courses and i have both horses for different tasks .

/ Bad mig welds #24  
Iron Horse said:
They are unbeatable for rust repairs , hold the patch on the panel with a screwdriver , a few spots around it with the mig and the repair is done .

If you really want a good rust repair that is going to be finished with filler, you have to weld the patch in solid. Any gap, can allow moisture behind the filler causing it to bubble, (we get Winter here). For me a brazing torch with 3/32 coated, is what is unbeatable. Its faster, and you can more easily remove any excess brass, limiting the possibility of grinding the surrounding metal thinner. Though It is a lost art, it is even more unlikely to make a comeback due to the fact that there are now adhesives, that are able to do a fairly good job.

/ Bad mig welds #26  
bobodu said:
How's your forge welding?
I'm proficient in that too. I guess I'm an idiot.

Never had the opportunity to try it..let alone a NEED to become proficient at it...but from some I have watched do it that seem to have the mentality of a fire ant..Im sure if I put my mind to it I could learn to do it well!

/ Bad mig welds #27  
Sully2 said:
.but from some I have watched do it that seem to have the mentality of a fire ant..Im sure if I put my mind to it I could learn to do it well!

Sully2 said:
Personally..I started out 2 years ago with no welder(s) at all..and never was able to stick weld after almost 40 years

Sully2 said:
For sure, for sure! If a person already knows at least the basics of welding...I cant see why he wouldnt get an AC/DC stick machine because it can do 99.9% of anything he needs.

I see...

/ Bad mig welds #28  
Iron Horse said:
No different than the factory using spot welds on everything and then filling over the top with bog .

There is a big difference between closely clustered, pinching spot welds and a few tacks with a mig.

Keep in mind also, those spot welds were not made on the areas of the panels that are being patched because of rust.

You can do as you like, I did the work, and I tried all that. It only takes a pin hole to bubble the repair out. After you sand down where the bubbles are on everyone else's jobs, it does not take long to figure that out.

I guaranteed my work and the only way I could give any kind of warranty was if the patch was completely sealed.

/ Bad mig welds #29  
bobodu said:
What do you "see"? Dont take statements out of context and use them as your "statement". If you have a question..then ASK!

/ Bad mig welds #30  
I had this exact issue with the welder previously. I did everything - got a new bottle of gas, changed the tip, the nozzle, the liner, the gas valve, the welding wire. Turns out the gas hose inside the case that attaches to the nozzle had detached. Kind of wish I had thought to open up the case earlier.