Knife sharpeners

/ Knife sharpeners #1  

matrix123

Diamond edge sharpening!!!
DMT痴 products are known for their superior quality and versatility, are easy to use and allow for sharpening in a fraction of the time required by other methods. dmtsharp.com is popular with woodworkers, chefs and gardeners and in the kitchen because they are lightweight and portable.
I use the diamond technology to sharpen knives,tools & gardening tools....what type of sharpening tools do you use? Please let me know.....:)

/ Knife sharpeners #3  
With today's hard edges diamond stones are helpful, but with the right technique you can sharpen a knife with any smooth stone. Even the ones laying in your yard.

jmf

/ Knife sharpeners #4  
I use DMT. Have a set of 6" with 4 grades.

/ Knife sharpeners #5  
HF wet grinder, then diamond.

Going to add strop to that, but the wet grind alone puts a great edge on things. I've gotten used to having really sharp stuff, much safer.

/ Knife sharpeners #6  
Several different grades of stones, then a felt wheel with a fine jewlers rouge. I am a woodcarver and the tools must be sharp. I just think hand sharpening gives me a better and longer lasting edge than machine sharpening.

/ Knife sharpeners #7  
ToadHill said:
Several different grades of stones, then a felt wheel with a fine jewlers rouge. I am a woodcarver and the tools must be sharp. I just think hand sharpening gives me a better and longer lasting edge than machine sharpening.

Ditto what ToadHill said.

/ Knife sharpeners #8  
I use stones for the good stuff and one of those little "V" handheld sharpeners for blades that don't care,like my pocket knife.

/ Knife sharpeners #9  
I have some slate left over from my floor and out of curiosity I stroked my dull pocket knife over it a few times. I was suprised it had about the same effect as an Arkansas soft wetstone. What I used was free (leftovers) but even new a piece of slate is sure cheaper then anything els. Has anyone else tried this?

/ Knife sharpeners #10  
I use a belt sander with a fine grit. I then touch it up on a stone