Landscape Rake Build

/ Landscape Rake Build #1  

GuglioLS

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer
I've been wanting a landscape rake. I checked a few out in person, but none were configured exactly to my liking. So I have decided to build one from scratch.
Rob (3RRL) has been very generous and helpful in the design and build of my 360* rotating back-blade project and in designing the jaws and brackets for my grapple project For anyone who is following Rob's (3RRL) home build project right now Rob's plate is pretty full, so maybe I should give him a break and do this on my own? For the most part, many of my projects have been "built then designed" instead of being "Designed then built". For this Rake project, I have decided to Design then build. Last week I picked up AutoCad :D and are teaching myself how to use it with this project.
Here are the basic concepts of the rake I am going to build:

As you can see it will have a swivel offset and rotation angle feature. I will add index holes to pin the positions, but do plan on having it controlled by hydraulics. The design will be such that it could be manual or hydraulically operated.

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
After a few hours on Autocad, I worked out details for the rotation index plate and index plate for swivel. The following pics are to verify the concept will work in real life.To keep machining to a minimum, I plan on having as many parts cut out by a computer controlled plasma cutter:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
A close up of the finalized index plates, miscellaneous brackets and spacers ready for plasma cutting:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build #4  
I can't wait!!!! But, alas, I will.

Looking forward to this build. ;)

/ Landscape Rake Build
John (SknukWerX),
Thanks for your interest -

I got parts plasma cut on Friday (5/23/08) just now had time to upload all the video and pics. It takes me longer to take picks, resize, upload and post than it does to actually build stuff :confused: I hope all this is worth it, because I could be done my now ;) Maybe I am? who knows? Tell you what, at the end of the day, I can get a pic with the progress that includes the front page of today's Sunday paper showing the date. :rolleyes:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
Here are a few still shots showing the plasma cut parts which are still very warm:

Yesterday Saturday as in 5/24/08 - Here the parts are now in my home basement shop all laid out pretty like for their photo op :D

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
So now it's time for me to do some actual work. I need 34 spacers 3/8" thick by 3-5/8" long, by 1" wide and 6 each 1" x 1" x 3-5/8" long to put between all the tines so as to keep them evenly spaced. This was done on the band-saw using a stop to get all the parts the exact same length:

That didn't take very long at all ;) considering I had to take the saw apart to clean it first :rolleyes:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
After getting all those spacers cut and the burs removed, it was time to start bolting on the rake tines in prep for welding the spacers. I picked up some extra thick 3/8" washers, grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers online. The washers are just shy of 1/4" thick.

So that is where I am as of right now. Time to go out and see what I can get done. My hope is to at least be able to weld all the rake time spacers into position without welding the tines :eek:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build #9  
Larry,
I always look forward to your build it projects. I want to make a rake that will fit the frame of the RB that I made, but I cannot find the tines here. I have asked even at places that make springs, but they say that they cannot make what I want. :(

What I am saying is that I am going to enjoy your project as if it were mine.:rolleyes: The only problem is that in the end I still will not have a rake! :mad: :rolleyes:

Why did you choose the one bolt tines instead of the 2 bolt where a spacer would not be needed?

Mike

/ Landscape Rake Build
MJPetersen said:
.......Why did you choose the one bolt tines instead of the 2 bolt where a spacer would not be needed?
Mike

Hi Mike,
Good question - I did not want to drill 82 holes! I weighed both options: using spacers or drilling a bazillion precision holes and doubling the hardware to mount them. One hole and two hole tines are the same price, available online form Agri supply LANDSCAPE RAKE TINES - Agri Supply I got the ones made in Italy :cool: The tine mounting "system" I have uses 2" x 2" x 1/4" wall angle and a piece of 2" wide x 1/4" thick flat bar which I have plenty of in my "scrap" pile. If I went with the two hole tines, I would have had to purchase a a very large piece of angle or flat bar stock. So I went with what I have on hand. Would those tines I posted a link to work for what you are needing? I seem to have missed you RB project. I will look it up to check it out.

Larry