Painting Inside a Propane Tank?

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I scored an old propane tank at a farm auction a while ago. It was one of those deals where the farmer had a line of junk a quarter mile long and the auctioneer was selling it by the foot. I bought "everything from these old drain augers to those old pots" for $25 because the drain augers were actually stock tank heaters and I needed them. The propane tank happened to be in there. Having previously been inspired by TBN members as to the continuing value of junk like propane tanks, I decided to take it apart for a project.

The plan is to use the tank as a portable pressurized water tank. Initially I'm planning to use it as a sprayer. Later it may become part of another project.

Now that the long winded introduction is over, here's the question: How would a guy paint the inside of a propane tank?

My assumption is that these tanks are just bare metal inside since propane is not particularly corrosive. Painting the inside seems like a good idea for two reasons...

1) It will protect the inside of the tank from rusting.
2) It may minimize the awful stench that comes out of these tanks for decades after they are emptied.

P.S. If anyone ever wondered how much one of these tanks holds, I measured it last night. It's one of the standard barbecue size tanks and it holds just over 6 gallons.

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #2  
I know there are gas tank coatings were you pour in the coating. Then rotate the tank so everything is coated then drain out the what is left. I have used a product from Eastwood. It covers rust and seals it. I am sure there are coatings for water tanks.

Cary:cool:

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #3  
I got a free 300 gallon gasoline tank a while back. The plan was to make a trailer and use the tank for watering trees. I haven't run across a paint or process to coat the interior either. Don't know if the gasoline soaked metal would contaminate the water doing harm to plants. I will be watching your solution progress closely.

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #5  
kreem or cream (sp) is a product used too with good reports.

I would probably not bother with coating it. Just get a hot water heater Ssrificial annode.

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #6  
Since these tanks tend to be FREE come garbage day,I wouldn't go to the expense of buying a sealing kit.Just get a pint of Rustoleum and dump it in,roll it around the yard and pour out the excess.Set the tank in the sun for a week.
Best thing to do would be to do nothing...if the tank is to be pressurized,you are likely to have flaking of whatever you coat it with due to the expansion of the tank under pressure.

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #7  
Rustoleum would work. I would suggest thinning it out 2:1. Save the excess for a second coat, and then a third.

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #8  
I used gas tank sealer in my homemade cheetah tank. You can get it from JC Whitney. I got mine from an antique engine parts supplier, Otto Gas Engine Works, http://www.dol.net/~dave.reed/rangcast.htm. They call it sloshing compound. It works very well. Clean the tank with Super Clean and roofing nails. Does a good job of scouring the insides.

M.D.

Last edited:
   / Painting Inside a Propane Tank? #9  
Motorcycle shops carry this as well.

One thing you might try is get some pea gravel, or even aquarium rocks, add it to the tank, then roll the tank for a while. The small gravel will help remove any loose rust or flakes that might be in the tank.

/ Painting Inside a Propane Tank?
cmuncy said:
Motorcycle shops carry this as well.

One thing you might try is get some pea gravel, or even aquarium rocks, add it to the tank, then roll the tank for a while. The small gravel will help remove any loose rust or flakes that might be in the tank.

Sounds like a job for the kids. "Here, roll this large noismaker around the yard for a while. Be sure to leave it out with all the other stuff I trip on. Just don't forget where it is so that when I need it I can find it."

When I filled the tank to check the volume, I noticed a bunch of small black flakes of something floating in the water after I poured it out. I don't know if it was a buildup of impurities in the propane or something else. In any case it seems like a good idea to scour the inside of the tank with something.

$40 for a coating for the inside of a tank meant to replace a $35 sprayer seems like a bad idea. The rustoleum concept sounds a little better.

I wonder if there's a used paint dealer around here. :) Used stuff is always cheaper.