Hitch on your backhoe

/ Hitch on your backhoe #1  

fiddler kelly

Bronze Member
Has anyone ever placed a hitch onto their backhoe so that they are able to haul a trailor behind the backhoe and use this trailor for carrying stuff that the backhoe has dropped into it.Either a ball hitch or a pintel hitch.

/ Hitch on your backhoe #2  
No... but the idea has potential.

/ Hitch on your backhoe #3  
joes_427_vette said:
No... but the idea has potential.
YES,
I built this one out of a chunk of Ibeam and made it so i can attach my reese hitches to it.When im ready to move,i reach down and pick up the i beam with my thumb and away i go.Works slick
ALAN

Attachments

• 100_0771 (1016 x 677).jpg
    100_0771 (1016 x 677).jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 1,613
   / Hitch on your backhoe
I was thinking more from the bottom of the backhoe or bottom of the first arm. That way you can be driving along in the tractor to a site lets say where you want to get some gravel or rock,etc and hauling the trailor behind you and when you get to where you are going can then get in the seat of the backhoe and start digging and loading whatever it was you were looking for into the trailor without disconnecting the trailor from the back of the tractor. I think this would be easier if you had a pintel hitch on the backhoe instead of a ball.

Are you getting the picture now.

/ Hitch on your backhoe #5  
I am still working on a desighn to put one on my trackhoe. I have put one on the front of my Truckster. It is really handy. I have a Reese type on my ZTR also. It is the first machine I can actually back a 4 wheel wagon with.

Attachments

• Truckster.jpg
    Truckster.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 898
   / Hitch on your backhoe #6  
escavader,

Do you worry about damage to the hoe? I have thought about something similar but wondered if dragging something like that without the stabilizers down would put stress on the hoe or back of the tractor - stress that was not intended. I don't think it would be problem to move a trailer or 2 around, but pulling a load of dirt or rocks might be different. Maybe it isn't a problem but it made me wonder!

I explored the idea of a special draw bar - that fit in the drawbar hole on the tractor, dropped lower (to miss the hoe) and then extended out under the hoe. I built a prototype but abandoned the idea - just too much distance and therefore very difficult to make something that is strong enough. I was going to use it with a 4 wheel wagon so I didn't need weight on the hitch but it had to be able to handle pressure and pull from side to side.

/ Hitch on your backhoe #7  
fiddler kelly said:
Has anyone ever placed a hitch onto their backhoe so that they are able to haul a trailor behind the backhoe and use this trailor for carrying stuff that the backhoe has dropped into it.Either a ball hitch or a pintel hitch.

Yes, here is a link to one I built a little over 3 years ago:

CLICK HERE Not sure what size hoe you have. Moving small trailers around is one thing, hauling a loaded trailer may be another. I suppose it would depend on the size of the trailer, load weight and how big the hoe is.

Here are some random pictures

If this could somehow be constructed so the bucket would not have to be removed, it would be much more useful.

Larry

/ Hitch on your backhoe #8  
dillo99 said:
escavader,

Do you worry about damage to the hoe? I have thought about something similar but wondered if dragging something like that without the stabilizers down would put stress on the hoe or back of the tractor - stress that was not intended. I don't think it would be problem to move a trailer or 2 around, but pulling a load of dirt or rocks might be different. Maybe it isn't a problem but it made me wonder!
The trailer i tow is a 4 by 5 homemade dump trailer,there isnt alot of tounge weight,it tows easy even loaded with rocks ive used it for a few years with no issues,great for final project cleanups so far so good besides i carry 2 or 300 lb rocks around cant be any harder on it then that:D
ALAN

/ Hitch on your backhoe #9  
GuglioLS said:
Yes, here is a link to one I built a little over 3 years ago:

/GuglioLS/BH%20Thumb/th_BoomPolePaintBrush.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Larry

You know you're good when you can paint the house with the backhoe! :D

/ Hitch on your backhoe #10  
If a problem shows up it will be a bent cylinder rod. They are the weakest link on the hoe and will bend first. I personally would never consider pulling a trailer from my hoe for that very reason.