useful toy

/ useful toy #11  
Oh....branches!!!

I thought I'd build one come butchering time....and I was really hoping to get ideas for a plucker too.

/ useful toy
branches sorta just drop down, to big to fly

ive cut through branches up to 2' - 3" , takes careful moving but branches are les hazardous than the smaller stuff

unless youve seen the way i use it , it does look dangerous and under other circumstances might be

im no more willing to hurt myself than the next guy

it may spin maybe 2000 - 3000 rpm , not sure and its far enough away that momentum is lost by the time anything reaches me

/ useful toy #13  
Been a medic for many years and seen many accidents with well engineered devices WITH safety mechanisms. I wouldn't be proud of this at all. Hope you have good insurance!

/ useful toy #15  
I would want some shroud around that blade in the event that the blade broke. A shroud may not stop a broken blade but it would sure slow it down.:D

/ useful toy
the blade is a comercial cutter blade about a 1/4" by 3" by 24" turning at about 20% its rated speed

when i run into heavy cutting the v belt slips long before enough torque is put on it to break

also it hangs over the fel by about 2 feet so the plane of spin is about 4 feet from me

and up in the air where it cuts theres nothing to break it

and when i flip it to cut horizontaly, id be more worried about the front tire as im sitting well above its plane of spin and have the fel arm and tractor as a shield

you really need to see how its applied to understand

im more likely to be injured driving than useing this the way i do

/ useful toy #17  
Are you sure yours spins at 2000-3000 rpm! That doesnt sound right to me. I'd back off that pump of yours if I were you.

The ones I've seen spin real slow. I see these in action regularly and they are a lot less dangerous to the operator than say, a flail mower. The saw blade only rotates at about 40-60 rpm and only produces saw dust which falls down along with the branches it cuts. Where as a flail mower has high rpm and flings stuff far greater distances. A lot of the farmers around me use these to great effect.
They just looks dangerous. Obviously no one goes near the blade when it spinning and the operator is 6-8 ft from it in the seat.

That big circular blade makes a helluva ringing noise as it cuts through the branches...

heres a big one with 4 blades mounted on a long extending arm.
newspic12.gif

/ useful toy #18  
That thing scares me just looking at it. I wouldn't go near it.

/ useful toy #19  
Chickenman:

Seems to me you have considered the issues and decided that the gain is worth the risk. Others might decide differently, but that is a personal decision.

Thanks for sharing your work.

/ useful toy
Blagadan said:
Are you sure yours spins at 2000-3000 rpm! That doesnt sound right to me. I'd back off that pump of yours if I were you.

The ones I've seen spin real slow. I see these in action regularly and they are a lot less dangerous to the operator than say, a flail mower. The saw blade only rotates at about 40-60 rpm and only produces saw dust which falls down along with the branches it cuts. Where as a flail mower has high rpm and flings stuff far greater distances. A lot of the farmers around me use these to great effect.
They just looks dangerous. Obviously no one goes near the blade when it spinning and the operator is 6-8 ft from it in the seat.

That big circular blade makes a helluva ringing noise as it cuts through the branches...

heres a big one with 4 blades mounted on a long extending arm.
newspic12.gif

those look like saw blades, im using a comercial grass blade that spins upwards of 15,000 plus rpm im going a fraction of that and the vbelt will slip and it will stop spinning long before i reach any limit it may have

i have quite a safty factor the way i use it

i wear glasses and a hat

ive been hit many times and mostly its anoying

many times when operating a machine tool id have to stand there getting burned by hot chips because i had to, so i could stop a cut, sometimes you gotta do what has to be done

come on if you drive a tractor, your supposed to be macho, dumb and tough