Core Aerator Parts

/ Core Aerator Parts #1  

Spudland_Dave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935
So, after breifly shopping for a 60 or 72" Core Aerator for my 3520 I've come to the conclusion that I can easily make a Super HD Version for way less then any I can find locally...
Steel for Frame, Bearings, etc... I can easily source locally, etc... about the only thing I cant find are the "hubs" that I could use with the Core Spoons Agri-Supply carries: AERATOR CORE SPOON 3.5MM - Agri Supply

I couldnt even find the frontier parts breakdown over on JDParts.com

With what Deere & Woods are getting for their units, I think I can put solid gold ballast on my home made unit...

/ Core Aerator Parts #2  
I am interested in building some kind of machine to aerate our horse pastures, preferrably up to a foot of depth. (the complete layer of black topsoil)
I voted against the subsoiler with disk openers and rollers behind each leg, because it makes ridges in a pasture like a potato field.

How deep do these core aerators work normally, anywhere close to the 1 foot depth i desire ?

/ Core Aerator Parts #3  
Dave,

I initially looked at going the route of making my own. I even bought most of the metal for the frame, but came to the conclusion it was going to cost more in time and money than buying a new one. I did find a more economical brand than Woods or Landpride. I ended up with a 60" Midwest brand Core aerator. In my opinion it is built as good or better than the Woods and about half the cost. I think I paid around $650 for mine. I have had a few years and large lawns in my area for some extra spending cash... I have about 1,000 lbs of weight on it (used some old railroad track sections) The Midwest brand comes in several colors and the spoons are easy to replace. I bought mine from Little Tractor in Metropolis, IL, but I'm sure you could find a closer dealer for Midwest Equipment (http://www.midwestequipment.net/). Good Luck.

/ Core Aerator Parts
lively1 said:
I initially looked at going the route of making my own. I even bought most of the metal for the frame, but came to the conclusion it was going to cost more in time and money than buying a new one. I did find a more economical brand than Woods or Landpride. I ended up with a 60" Midwest brand Core aerator. In my opinion it is built as good or better than the Woods and about half the cost. I think I paid around $650 for mine.

Thanks for the heads up...going into the shopping mode "price blind" I about fell on my rear end when I saw the $2199 sticker price on the Frontier 60" unit on one of the lots...when I saw that I figured I could easily build one cheaper. I was looking at a 72" and according to JD & Woods, they have 96 tines on em, right there is 500.00 worth of tines from A.S. Gonna have to find a Midwest dealer forsure...

/ Core Aerator Parts #6  
My aerator is a little less finished looking but about the same price as Midwest. It came from Sikeston MO. I built a frame and mounted a 50 gal plastic barrel for ballast. I can fill and drain it to match soil conditions. It also makes it easier to handle in the shop with it empty.

/ Core Aerator Parts #8  
lively1 said:
I usually get full spoon depth (3-4") depending on the soil conditions.

Hmm... i'm not sure if i'd find the typical horse hoof compaction in that upper 10 cm... I might have to do some research before deciding if an aerator is the way to go for me...

/ Core Aerator Parts #9  
Don't give up so quick. Do some research and find out who buys or imports the spoons for AgriSupply.

I've found that if you can locate the parts manufacturer, you can often work deals that are MUCH less expensive! Skip the retailer! be persistent and wave cash at them..

IowaAndy

/ Core Aerator Parts #10  
I am interested in building some kind of machine to aerate our horse pastures, preferrably up to a foot of depth. (the complete layer of black topsoil)
I voted against the subsoiler with disk openers and rollers behind each leg, because it makes ridges in a pasture like a potato field.

How deep do these core aerators work normally, anywhere close to the 1 foot depth i desire ?

If your are only going to aerate your pasture and you already own a rototiller you may wish to try making some straight blades for it. Straight blades will make thin slices in your soil 4 to 6 inches deep. I wanted to try this last year but ran out of time. I purchased 20 feet of 2-1/2" x 3/8" steel and cut it up to make the blades. I just finished drilling all the holes. All that's left is to sharpen all of the blades and install them on my rototiller. I got the idea from motherearthnews.com My total cost for the steel was less than $25 and I figure it will take less than four hours of my time to complete.

Pasture Renovation