Cutivators with sidedress fertilizer attachment

/ Cutivators with sidedress fertilizer attachment #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Sorry these are out of order but I can't figure out how to get IN order. Beats me.
Here is my cultivator with a sidedress fertilizer attachement. It's a set of old eight row Ford cultivators I cut down to two row. The diagonal toolbar is solid steel so you can imagine the weight. I paid $15 at auction but had to have a shop cut the toolbar. I took everything apart and checked what I wanted and sort-of sprayed it Ford blue. Lots of parts left.
I found an old John Blue tobacco fertilizer unit off a small JD that was driven off a clamp on the axle and made it fit my Kubota to be driven off the wheel. I got an owners manual! from the company and did the tire size math to get the right amount of 46-0-0 down and set the shanks to do both sides of one row, 4" down and 4" to both sides of the plant. I set the other shanks to cover the tire tracks and slightly bury the plants and fetilizer. I go down the row one way and then turn around and come back the same row the other way.
My photos do not show the drive chain hooked up but the things works fine for my acre of sweet corn and does a great job. Sweet corn loves nitrogen.
I would love to find a 12 volt motor to drive the unit but need a real slow one --15 RPM?--and can't figure out how much HP I need --1/6th?-- or where to get the unit. Any ideas welcome.

Last edited:
   / Cutivators with sidedress fertilizer attachment #2  
I was first thinking wiper motor but I am not sure that would have the torque. Maybe this is a good application for a motor off a Harbor Freight 12volt winch? I have heard of people re-purposing those.

/ Cutivators with sidedress fertilizer attachment #3  
Where did you located the manual for the John Blue Fertilizer Attachment?

Thanks,

/ Cutivators with sidedress fertilizer attachment
Where did you located the manual for the John Blue Fertilizer Attachment?

Thanks,

Call the company and ask. No problem.
I have the guy's name if you hit a dead end (but you won't).
If you find anyone that sells spare parts, keep me in mind.
Remember to clean immediately after use and replace any simple machine screws with stainless. Also, I spray mine with Fluid Film oil when clean.