How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding?

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I might have damaged the tubing under the plastic shielding on the PTO shaft of a cheap metal cone-type fertilizer spreader. I need to get the plastic cover off the PTO shaft to look and cannot figure out how it goes together. It's of recent make and I tossed the 500 page pamplet that was in ten languages. Surely it is not difficult, so if anyone has done this or taken one apart could you please clue me in?

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #2  
sixdogs said:
I might have damaged the tubing under the plastic shielding on the PTO shaft of a cheap metal cone-type fertilizer spreader. I need to get the plastic cover off the PTO shaft to look and cannot figure out how it goes together. It's of recent make and I tossed the 500 page pamplet that was in ten languages. Surely it is not difficult, so if anyone has done this or taken one apart could you please clue me in?
These are usually insert and twist connections, like a bayonet. Theres either a tab to depress to let you turn it back the other direction to remove - or a couple of small screws to take out that will let you turn it to get it apart.
larry

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #3  
I hate those shields. I take a knife to them - gets them off fine.

Clearly a safety violation, but I'm pretty sure I've learned not to play with the PTO shaft while its operating.

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #4  
Do'nt forget that the shaft must be pulled from either end to separate the two halves so you can remove the cover . Have you been doing this to grease the slip joint that must be done frequently ?

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #5  
Most of the ones I've taken apart usually have three black "tabs" right at the end collar. These "tabs" are a part of the plastic "bearing" which rides in the PTO shaft groove. To remove the outer shield the "tabs" need to be depressed on the end closest to the u joint, while pulling the shield away from the u joint. I usually insert three thin bladed screw drivers to hold the tabs down while pulling on the shield. If this is the type you have, it's easier that I've made it sound.

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding?
Iron Horse said:
Do'nt forget that the shaft must be pulled from either end to separate the two halves so you can remove the cover . Have you been doing this to grease the slip joint that must be done frequently ?

Yes, I grease it but I lowered the implement too far while operating PTO and think I bent or kinked the shaft. Now will not slide all the way on for smaller tractor. I hate those darn plastic shafts.
I suppose there is the safety factor but Charlesaf3 has a good point not to play with them while operating.

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #7  
sixdogs said:
I suppose there is the safety factor but Charlesaf3 has a good point not to play with them while operating.

You think???

I understand the point you're both trying to make but the plastic shield isn't there to prevent intentional contact with the shaft inside - it's there to prevent accidental contact, which by it's very definition, happens to people who know not to "play with the PTO shaft while it's operating".

I think it's a big mistake and an assumption of a lot of unnecessary risk to not use a cover...

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #8  
bjcsc - that's a fair point, but I don't let anyone else use my tractor, and I know enough not to go near the pto shaft when its moving, and I don't let anyone near me when the tractor is running - good practive whether or not there are shields.

If you come into contact with one of those shields, you are already in trouble, and long past the stupidity point.

I see why manufacturers put them on, and thought about it before taking them off, but I'm convinced I did the right thing for me. Safety needs to start way before that shield.

And I'm actually the **** retentive type who ties ladders to trees before going up...

I don't find those tabs quite as easily workable as some, btw - hence the knife and recycling bin approach.

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding? #9  
Charlesaf3 said:
I see why manufacturers put them on, and thought about it before taking them off, but I'm convinced I did the right thing for me. Safety needs to start way before that shield.

Charles,

The manufacturers think they're smart making the driveshaft shields hard to remove, but they're defeating their purpose.

If they made the shields easy to remove and replace, people like me and you would replace them instead of hurling them in the general direction of the trash bin. :D

BTW, it's VERY easy to build a removable guard or cage around the driveshaft.

/ How do I get apart PTO shaft plastic shielding?
OK, I figured it out. You need to depress the two small indents at the end of the driveshaft and pop out the end safety shield covering the u-joint. Unfortunately, it is made of VERY stiff plastic and the tab broke so now the shield is worthless.
Unless, of course I could indentify the brand of shield and be able to find the part. Neither of those will likely happen so I have a PTO shaft with no shield.