FEL---String Trimmer

/ FEL---String Trimmer #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
Ok- I think the title may just get a few strange looks..
But I am building on the side of a mountain and there is a mile long driveway with some wicked curves and steep banks on the road sides.

So to make long story short- after 4 hours of weed eating, 3 hours of loader work cleaning it all up I came up with a couple of ideas.

1. loader mounted weed eater. Electric - DC with an AC converter-
nope-- too many issues and weak anyway

2. PTO Wead eater-
nope-- I want this in front of me and there is not enough reach.
nope-- too much $$$

3. Get the step son to do it..
nope-- he turned me down- besides I don't think I could afford him..

4. This thing- Walmart.com : Weed Eater Wheeled Gas Trimmer : Lawn & Garden Supplies
http://www.poulanpro.com/poulanpro/viewProductDetails.do?productID=187&DealerModelID=null
HMM cheap-
small-- has a remote cable control.

looks like this could be a real trick...

mount it on the bucket, run a real long cable to my seat-
and use the bucket controls for tilt..

the cutting head looks like it could be twisted for 90 degree offset..

If all else fails, a 1 mile down hill walk would not be too bad with the wheels on it!!

thoughts ?

other ideas?

Later,
Jim

/ FEL---String Trimmer #2  
I don't know how the poulan feeds the line but if it has the tap to feed line thingy then you better be careful not to smash it when you need more line.:D

/ FEL---String Trimmer
Berniep said:
I don't know how the poulan feeds the line but if it has the tap to feed line thingy then you better be careful not to smash it when you need more line.:D

Yea-- thought about that- this thing uses fixed string-- so if I run it out I have to hop off and change the line..

That should have went in the negative column....

Jim

/ FEL---String Trimmer #4  
You could always make up a mount on your FEL for your existing trimmer. Since you're mounting it to the tractor, there's really no need for wheels on the trimmer itself.

If you're determined to buy a new trimmer to attach to the FEL, I'd be looking for the biggest, nastiest commercial model available.

/ FEL---String Trimmer #5  
I was going to experiment with one of these. Surplus Center Item Detail
12 IN/LB(1 FT/LB) at 5000 RPM is just shy of 1 HP. Your typical gas weedeater is just over 1HP, so this little motor at 50 IN/LB should be good for nearly 4HP. You would need a large enough string disc/carrier to get an appropriate string tip speed for cutting, but this is good in that it would make for a larger cut radius. I did some math on this a while back and I think something like 24" cut diameter and around 4000 motor RPM would approximate a typical weedeater tip speed. You would probably need an additional bypass valve across the motor ports to stay within the 1200 PSI pressure limits. Add a shroud to keep from spitting stuff back at the operator and a plug in receiver pipe welded to the FEL, and this might make for an interesting trimmer. It could also be attached to a brushhog. I was looking at it for trimming that last little bit along the fence line that is too close to bring in the brush hog without risking fence damage. Another thought was to put it on a hinge with an outrigger wheel so it could pivot up and down and ride up along a bank that is too steep to mow.

/ FEL---String Trimmer #6  
A suggestion: look at the DR wheeled trimmers. No not to buy as a whole but the heads are rugged. They have offered the heads separately to upgrade older models in past catalogs. One of those coupled with the hydraulic motor that RonMar mentioned would make a good trimmer. The DR trimmers have about a 24" cut diameter.

Vernon

/ FEL---String Trimmer #7  
I know cost is a factor in your decision, but here's a suggestion you might "borrow" some ideas from...

Fence Runner the Grass, Brush and Weed Mower Trimmer

I especially like their idea with the spring loaded retractable cutting wheel to navigate obstacles.

/ FEL---String Trimmer #8  
RadarTech said:
So to make long story short- after 4 hours of weed eating, 3 hours of loader work cleaning it all up I came up with a couple of ideas.
1. loader mounted weed eater. Electric - DC with an AC converter-nope-- too many issues and weak anyway
2. PTO Wead eater- nope-- I want this in front of me and there is not enough reach. nope--
3. .
4. This thing- Walmart.com : Weed Eater Wheeled Gas Trimmer : Lawn & Garden Supplies
http://www.poulanpro.com/poulanpro/viewProductDetails.do?productID=187&DealerModelID=null
HMM cheap-

*other ideas?
*I have plans to build something to mow out over banks and ditches with.
It would
1*Clamp onto the FEL bucket.
2*Tow behind tractor with draw bar and
3* attach to 3 point hitch all three.
Could be used with any tractor ATV etc.

The ticket is the plain old walk behind hand push mower.
The secret is turning the pushing over to your tractor etc.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/deta...Index=1&isVariant=false&corpCard=false&type=0

This thing would be real easy to adapt to what I have in mind but the big draw back is the string cutter and not enough power for heavy or tough weeds.
Another problem is the matter of weeds tangling up around the string head.

Last edited:
   / FEL---String Trimmer #9  
LBrown59 The ticket is the plain old walk behind hand push mower. The secret is turning the pushing over to your tractor etc.[/quote said:
Mounted on the FEL bucket on a bracket, I think that would do a great job on ditches, ponds, and other long runs.

I have a pond with about 1200 feet of banks, and I've been toying with the idea of mounting a hedge trimmer on my FEL bucket. It could be battery or gas powered. Either should work fine on pencil sized weed stalks and dallisgrass.

/ FEL---String Trimmer #10  
Iplayfarmer said:
I know cost is a factor in your decision, but here's a suggestion you might "borrow" some ideas from...

Fence Runner the Grass, Brush and Weed Mower Trimmer

I especially like their idea with the spring loaded retractable cutting wheel to navigate obstacles.

I didn't look at the $$$ yet, but I MUST have this thing! I have a lot of 4-board fence and what the horses don't eat, I have to trim. It's a pain in the you-know-what. It takes me at least 12 to 15 hours when I do it.

Thanks for the link!