3pt Tiller

/ 3pt Tiller #11  
Anyone know where to find the gray market tillers in central VA?

Thanks

Eddie

/ 3pt Tiller #12  
Its too bad you are all so far away..... i have a 48" two point Yanmar tiller i'd part with for $200. I had intended to convert it to three point also, but have since sold the tractor i was going to use it on.

/ 3pt Tiller #13  
Check out the links on TBN for building a subsoiler. I think that would be a good investment to help you pull out those boulder you talked about before you break off all the tines on your new King Kutter tiller.

/ 3pt Tiller #14  
Ductape, How much do yopu think it would cost to ship that tiller to northwest PA. 16438? Let me know thanks Ken.

/ 3pt Tiller
The subsoiler is now in the works. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, a quick question - I purchased a 3pt drawbar, however, with my eyes, I picked up a cat2 instead of a cat1 and the store has a no return policy. Seeing how it will only be used to tow a lawnmower-sized cart around the yard occasionally, would it hurt anything if I just ground down the pins? I pull my landscape trailer and such with the 2" ball on the front bumper of the 8n, so there will never be any major stress put on it, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thanks,
Daniel

/ 3pt Tiller #16  
8nownerinky said:
Flusher,

How well does your gray market tiller hold up? We have hard-pack clay with rocks the size of VW's around here as most land 'round these parts haven't been worked in 40 or so years - since most farmers have either sold out to development or converted to livestock/hay production. And, I was told if I got one of those gray market tillers, I would have to change the tines and such as the Japanese tines break easily, therefore going into more money.

Thanks guys,

Dan

My soil is not the easiest to till. So I've invested in a $140 KK middle buster plow/subsoiler combo (available at Tractor Supply). I use the middle buster first then finish the job with the Yanmar rototiller. No sense in beating up that tiller unnecessarily. With the soil plowed, I can move that tiller a lot faster than if I try to till unplowed soil.

/ 3pt Tiller
Flusher,

Hopefully my middlebuster will be done in about 2 or so hours. I never did realize how much I missed welding, and after a few hours of practice, my welds are back looking like a row of dimes. What's your experience with Harbor Freight welders? That's what I'm using now, the AC/DC arc, and I can't say I care too much for it. I have an older toombstone buried somewhere, and for this job I would prefer it, but the HF was sitting out in the garage and never had been used, so I figured what the heck.

I'm using 2" square tubing for the frame of the middlebuster and welding with tried and true 6013's (the metal I'm using isn't the cleanest, but I did grind and sand to the best of my abilities), but do you think this will hold up? If so, my total investment in this project will be about two bucks, give or take a few cents for the welding rods. I will be posting some pics tonight after I get my camera back, just to let ya'll know.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
   / 3pt Tiller #18  
Dan, if it was me I think I would keep the Troybilt tiller. I have a 3pt tiller but also have an old troybilt horse model and use it often. Guess it all depends upon what you are going to use the tiller for, but if it is gardening you will find preparing the soil is quick and easy with the big tiller, but weed control depends upon brown knees and a tiller that can get in between the rows.

Just my two cents!

Wayne

/ 3pt Tiller
WayneB,

I agree with keeping a smaller tiller, however, the troybilt doesn't quite fit between the rows in my garden, so I use an old statesman tiller that's probably older than I am for weed control. It fits perfect, and runs like brand new thanks to a little TLC every now and then. The troybilt on the other hand is just in the way with it being close to 3 1/2' wide, and space is becoming a premium here. You already can't walk in the yard without tripping, and the shed/garage/barn are all full to capacity.

Thanks,

Dan

/ 3pt Tiller #20  
8nownerinky said:
Thanks guys for all your input, however, this discussion is now irrelivent. Dan

Whew - you were heading to a world of hurt with what you were planning to do. A cheap greymarket import tiller is 3x as strong as a walkbehind..... You'da had nothing but trouble & disapointment.

--->Paul