Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: sheep camp

Is this thing gonna be actually towed down a highway? Every time I see some local farmer pulling a trailer with the front wheels steerable, IOW not a regular toungue weighted trailer, it is ALL over the road swaying and jerking.

BHD: That would work except for the dirt roads, sharp corners on narrow roads, and then trying to start it after it has sat for a couple years, and would not work well for hunting/camping and such.

TreeMonkey1000: I could get a fifth wheel trailer used for fairly cheep around here but there goes the nostalgia, and some of the back hills ability, but mostly the nostalgia.

Egon: I could and have considered that.

Jayste: Thanks for the site Somehow I missed that one searching I will be e-mailing them for pricing, Some of the better camps I have seen while searching.

ChuckinNH and Brad Blazer: I have been busy but I will look at those more deeply when I get some time. Thanks

Skyco: Yes it will be pulled on the highway occasionaly. You just go to take it slow and careful

There are lots of four wheeled trailers on over the road tractor trains.

For the Sheep Camp a longer tongue would make it easier to handle and back up.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    1996 - 1715 New Holland FWD 27 HP

Have you thought of using an old 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck frame to build on . I'm sure there are some at a good price around. If you were in West Virginia I would give you one just to come and get it. Is complete brakes power steering and all & all tires are up.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

Quote Originally Posted by Skyco
    Is this thing gonna be actually towed down a highway? Every time I see some local farmer pulling a trailer with the front wheels steerable, IOW not a regular toungue weighted trailer, it is ALL over the road swaying and jerking.
    You're right, wagons have more freedom, give less feedback, and are more sensitive to any slop in the connections and linkages. That's why I recommended new tight gear.

The EZ trail site I linked to has a discussion of that issue and their solution. I don't have recent personal experience. I do remember the 6 ton chopper boxes we used to tow had a definite speed limit around 30mph above which they would sway.
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

"Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

Nevadan, Are you planning on pulling your wagon with a team of animals or a vehicle? Another route to go would be to do what some around here do and go to a trailer parts company and buy trailer axles and use a fifth wheel to allow the front axle to steer. I've got some pictures within an email that I can forward to you but I can't figure out how to get them on here. I'm at jay.stewart@woodgroup.com. By the way what part of Nevada are you from?

Platinum Member firefighter9208's Avatar
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800

Here's another site. They are in TN, but could ship to you. Four Star Manufacturing, Inc. - Lewisburg, TN - manufacturers of grain-O-vator, running gear, wagon flats, bale spears Looks like it would be fairly easy to build on this platform.

I just called and they said $1820.00 for the 6 ton running gear unassembled. It would be nice to find a used wagon close to where you live. I know around here you can pick one up for about $500.00 used.
    Chris
    2004 Kubota M4800 with Bushhog M346 Loader with 6' Heavy Duty Bucket and Bale Spear. 6' Bushhog SQ720 Mower, Bushhog RDTH72 Finish Mower. Bushhog 3pth Log Splitter. Andy Tatro Grapple. Home Made 48" pallet forks.

1966 Farmall 140 with cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

1999 F250 LWB Ext. Cab 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF 6 Speed, Chip, Exhaust, Cool Air Intake.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

1969 Mach1 Mustang 351W. Too much to list.

have you talked to Richard Sumin in Battle Mountain? he has been rebuilding old sheep camp for a few years now..

Been busy lately havn't had a chance to check back recently.
    oldmax: I could do that but I would like to keep it more traditional.
    jayste: I would be pulling it with a vehicle but I would like to keep more traditional than that. I am from Elko County originaly Clover Valley now Elko.
    firefighter9208: will be looking to that site thanks.
    pioneer89820: No I havn't. I never heard of him.

Tractor
    YM2000

Have you tried contacting the Euzkaldunak Club in Elko? Those old Basquoes should know a thing or two about sheep camps.
    YM2000 FEL, backhoe, 4 ft Howse drag box, 5" Leinbach landscape rake

Today's hero, tomorrow's zero.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast