sheep camp

/ sheep camp #31  
Is this thing gonna be actually towed down a highway? Every time I see some local farmer pulling a trailer with the front wheels steerable, IOW not a regular toungue weighted trailer, it is ALL over the road swaying and jerking. :eek:

/ sheep camp
BHD: That would work except for the dirt roads, sharp corners on narrow roads, and then trying to start it after it has sat for a couple years, and would not work well for hunting/camping and such.

TreeMonkey1000: I could get a fifth wheel trailer used for fairly cheep around here but there goes the nostalgia, and some of the back hills ability, but mostly the nostalgia.

Egon: I could and have considered that.

Jayste: Thanks for the site Somehow I missed that one searching I will be e-mailing them for pricing, Some of the better camps I have seen while searching.

ChuckinNH and Brad Blazer: I have been busy but I will look at those more deeply when I get some time. Thanks

Skyco: Yes it will be pulled on the highway occasionaly. You just go to take it slow and careful

/ sheep camp #33  
There are lots of four wheeled trailers on over the road tractor trains.

For the Sheep Camp a longer tongue would make it easier to handle and back up.:D :D :D

/ sheep camp #34  
Have you thought of using an old 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck frame to build on . I'm sure there are some at a good price around. If you were in West Virginia I would give you one just to come and get it. Is complete brakes power steering and all & all tires are up.

/ sheep camp #35  
Skyco said:
Is this thing gonna be actually towed down a highway? Every time I see some local farmer pulling a trailer with the front wheels steerable, IOW not a regular toungue weighted trailer, it is ALL over the road swaying and jerking. :eek:

You're right, wagons have more freedom, give less feedback, and are more sensitive to any slop in the connections and linkages. That's why I recommended new tight gear.

The EZ trail site I linked to has a discussion of that issue and their solution. I don't have recent personal experience. I do remember the 6 ton chopper boxes we used to tow had a definite speed limit around 30mph above which they would sway.

/ sheep camp #36  
Nevadan, Are you planning on pulling your wagon with a team of animals or a vehicle? Another route to go would be to do what some around here do and go to a trailer parts company and buy trailer axles and use a fifth wheel to allow the front axle to steer. I've got some pictures within an email that I can forward to you but I can't figure out how to get them on here. I'm at jay.stewart@woodgroup.com. By the way what part of Nevada are you from?

/ sheep camp #37  
   / sheep camp #38  
have you talked to Richard Sumin in Battle Mountain? he has been rebuilding old sheep camp for a few years now..

/ sheep camp
Been busy lately havn't had a chance to check back recently.
oldmax: I could do that but I would like to keep it more traditional.
jayste: I would be pulling it with a vehicle but I would like to keep more traditional than that. I am from Elko County originaly Clover Valley now Elko.
firefighter9208: will be looking to that site thanks.
pioneer89820: No I havn't. I never heard of him.

/ sheep camp #40  
Have you tried contacting the Euzkaldunak Club in Elko? Those old Basquoes should know a thing or two about sheep camps.