Finished the log splitter!

/ Finished the log splitter! #1  

Rusty4242

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Thanks to all the help I got on these forums, I have finally finished building my log splitter. Attached are some photos of it. After renting one a couple of times, I decided to build one with an electric motor to keep the fumes and noise down, which it does well, tho the 16 gpm haldex pump whines like crazy.I guess this was drowned out by the gas engine noise on the rentals. I used all the scrap steel I had been gathering for years. Knew it would come in handy one day. I bought a 12 inch splitter wedge, valve, filters and pump from Northern. Now I see that didn't need to buy a wedge. Would have been easy to make. I got a 3 hp , single phase, 220 volt electric motor on fleabay for 100 bucks. Apparently one electric hp is roughly equal to 2 1/2, 4 stroke hp . I got a 5 inch by 24 inch cylinder off a piece of heavy equipment. $50. Its cycle time is about 5 seconds for a full stroke, tho it rarely needs a full stroke to do the splitting, except on real knarley billits. I run it in the yard with about 30 feet of 12/3 romex. The 2 stage pump can really work. I put a removable wheel barrow wheel on one end to help be moved it around. The only problem I have is with some(cavitation?) noise from the pump after a couple of hours of heavy splitting when the oil temp (dextron 3 ATF) get up to about 125 degrees. f.. Anyone know about this? Thanks, Larry

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 940
  • nearstump.JPG
    nearstump.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 1,045
  • almostdone.jpg
    almostdone.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 862
  • splitting.JPG
    splitting.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 788
   / Finished the log splitter! #2  
Now that's what I'm talkin about!!

Beauty is, as beauty does. :D

/ Finished the log splitter! #4  
The only problem I have is with some(cavitation?) noise from the pump after a couple of hours of heavy splitting when the oil temp (dextron 3 ATF) get up to about 125 degrees. f.. Anyone know about this?

It could be several things. As the fluid heats it carries more foam, the foam carries heat, the foam expands in the suction side and collapses (cavitates) during compression and so forth. There are commercial foam eliminators (spendy) perhaps a cooler, another type fluid, modify your nice large tank regarding inlet and outlet location/condition, etc.

It's also possible that the RPM of your setup is just high enough, that the pump is "semi-starved" due to some supply restriction and begins to cavitate at the higher temp. This could be filter (type/size/condition) line size or fitting size/type etc.

The simple solution would be to take a beer break after two hours of heavy splitting :D

There it is, I've given you my entire fund of hydraulic expertise, without more information, it's pretty hard to pinpoint the cause of your problem ;)

/ Finished the log splitter! #5  
some times the flow droping in to the tank will airate the oil causing the cavation
some of the hydraulic systems at work have a baffle
the return is in to one side and then it flows over baffle to the suction side to keep air out of pump
or have return flow in below oil level to prevent it droping in to tank and picking up air

tommu

/ Finished the log splitter!
Thanks, the beer break sounds like the way to go!

/ Finished the log splitter! #7  
Nice job!

I like the rustic look of those metal wheels.
Welding the expanded metal to the foot plate is a great idea!

What Tommu said about cavatation and baffles is what I have also heard.
Depending on the set-up, the fluid coming from the return line enters the reservior, but, a direct river is created within the reservior, and the same fluid that just returned goes stright toward to pump inlet.

Mine has been heating up a lot lately, but it's also overdue for a fluid change, I suspect my suction strainer probably needs a good clean-out, as well.

/ Finished the log splitter! #9  
Rusty4242 said:
The only problem I have is with some(cavitation?) noise from the pump after a couple of hours of heavy splitting when the oil temp (dextron 3 ATF) get up to about 125 degrees. f.. Anyone know about this? Thanks, Larry

I cant remember who, but someone ( a teacher at school, a guy at work, a guy at an internet forum like this) told me that the tank capacity of a hydraulic system should be at least twice the displacement per minute, of what the pump delivers.