New Forks from an old forklift

/ New Forks from an old forklift #1  

akpilot

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I needed err.... wanted a set of forks for my CUT the price for new was a bit high especially after freight was included to Alaska. SOooo I found an old forklift for next to nothing, I sold the motor for the same price I paid for the whole thing. I built a QA plate and attached the "fork frame" to it, I built a guard for the top and threw on a Krylon paint job and Shazam a new set of forks!!:D I think I'll go "fork" somthing!!

Attachments

• IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    782.3 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    893.1 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    821.1 KB · Views: 453
   / New Forks from an old forklift #4  
Very Nice.

/ New Forks from an old forklift #5  
those forks look sum sharp there Akpilot ! Great job and at a decent cost too :) You got sum good lookin equipment around there. See yer dirt screen in the background, I'm gonna build one in the shop this winter when I have time ;)

bob

/ New Forks from an old forklift #6  
akpilot said:
the price for new was a bit high especially after freight was included to Alaska.
You're not kidding. One thing I have learned since I started my tractor search is that manufacturers are charging outrageous prices for attachments these days. I was recently at a dealership pricing a tractor and while talking with the salesman about a backhoe thumb he said, "That's a $600.00 option." It was the non hydraulic flip down type. I couldn't believe it! It's nothing more than some 1/2 thick stock..couple welds....couple cuts with the band saw...some spray paint and walah.....600 bucks. My hats off to anyone who can make any of this stuff for themselves. I'm thinking of buying a stick welder before I even get the tractor.;)

/ New Forks from an old forklift #7  
Did you keep the mast, I would have made a 3 point forklift using the mast with a set of dolly tires on the bottom of the mast. A 3 stage mat would let you lift stuff 30 feet into the air

/ New Forks from an old forklift
Timber said:
Did you keep the mast, I would have made a 3 point forklift using the mast with a set of dolly tires on the bottom of the mast. A 3 stage mat would let you lift stuff 30 feet into the air

Yes.... I still have the mast, I did think about using it on a 3pt connection but figured this way would be more useful, as... I move more logs than I move pallets.

I would like to make a fairly large dump trailer and thought the mast could be adapted to that use??

Thanks all for your kind words and inspiration!! :)

/ New Forks from an old forklift #9  
akpilot said:
I needed err.... wanted a set of forks for my CUT the price for new was a bit high especially after freight was included to Alaska. SOooo I found an old forklift for next to nothing, I sold the motor for the same price I paid for the whole thing. I built a QA plate and attached the "fork frame" to it, I built a guard for the top and threw on a Krylon paint job and Shazam a new set of forks!!:D I think I'll go "fork" somthing!!
Very nice job getting it done and even all painted up nice like that. While you're out "forking" around:D , I'll be working on my set. You sure did the right thing getting the forks and mast for nothing. I had to pay $200 bucks for mine even though I went around to the forklift shops asking for scrap forks. For that price, I did get a side shift set of forks though. I'll hook up my grapple hydraulics to run the side shift cylinder. Oh man, are those suckers heavy too!
Timber has a good suggestion too about making the mast (and forks) for your 3pt. Your could make your mast have a 3pt connection and use it for higher, more stable lifts on the 3pt..