Tractor
    John Deere 5303

Default In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks

I know there have been zillions of bucket hook posts, but this is my first post in the Build-It Yourself forum, so please just indulge me with this.

I have the JD light-duty bucket on a 522 loader. I measured the main bucket chassis at only about .16" thick so I figured the 1/4" pads were mandatory.

There was a previous post where the builder only removed the paint where the weld was applied instead of completely under the pad. He ended up having to grind the hooks off, grind the rest of the paint off, and then re-weld the hooks. I took that bit of wisdom from him -- Thanks again TBN!!

Factory John deere paint is good stuff. I use a very aggressive wire wheel cup attached to a 4.5" angle grinder. Most paint doesn't stand a chance with this setup, but the bucket took a lot of work to get the the paint off.

The pad to bucket welds are a bit discontiguous. That is because I welded them on in six sections with some cooling time in between to prevent warpage. I learned that lesson a few years ago welding on my Samurai.

Anyway, I might be buying a set of Toyota pickup axles to put under my Samurai. If this works out, the hooks will be employed lifting axles off the trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks-dsc01102.jpg   In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks-dsc01104.jpg   In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks-dsc01107.jpg   In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks-dsc01109.jpg   In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks-dsc01111.jpg  

Last edited by Wombat125; 07-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.
    2008 JD 5303 with 522 Loader, iMatch, 6' Frontier Rotary Cutter, 7.5' KK Disc, 7' Road Boss Grader, 8' KK Blade
    1966 JD 110H with Snow Blade, Mower Deck
    1968 Case 195 with Snow Blade, Mower Deck, Trailer

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX 2350

Default Re: In Case You Haven't Seen Enough Bucket Hooks

Nicely done. This is still on my lists of things to do.
    BX2350 w/ 60" mmm, FEL, Hyd frt blade, 50" Farm King Snowblower, Custom F&R Forks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Just to reduce my ignorance on the placing of these hooks, why are they so far apart? Why not for instance put them on the strengthened section closer to the centre? I appreciate that the current position is strong as it is near the sides and allows two chains to pick up long objects.

With the width as it is, if you want to pick up something on a single chain, you need to attach to both hooks and have a deep V or there is a lot of inwards pull.

Is there a preferred spacing?

Cityfarma
    Kubota L4400 & FEL, 9 point spring tyne harrow, 33 acres of sanity.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

Nice welds...

Tractor
    John Deere 5303

Quote Originally Posted by Zick
    Nicely done. This is still on my lists of things to do.
    Thank you. It didn't actually take very long once I got started. I'd say only about 2 hours including a bunch of cuts with the band saw.

Quote Originally Posted by cityfarma
    Just to reduce my ignorance on the placing of these hooks, why are they so far apart? Why not for instance put them on the strengthened section closer to the centre? I appreciate that the current position is strong as it is near the sides and allows two chains to pick up long objects.

With the width as it is, if you want to pick up something on a single chain, you need to attach to both hooks and have a deep V or there is a lot of inwards pull.

Is there a preferred spacing?
    I put the hooks where they are for two reasons. First, I wanted to capitalize on the strength provided by the bucket's side plates. But more importantly I am planning on installing a third attachment point in the middle of the bucket. I am trying to decide between a hook just like the first two and reciever hitch. I thought I had to get the first two on yesterday to lift some old truck axles that I ended up not getting after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blagadan
    Nice welds...
    Thank you. You know if the Lincoln Power Mig 200 can make even my welds look good, it must be quite a machine.
    2008 JD 5303 with 522 Loader, iMatch, 6' Frontier Rotary Cutter, 7.5' KK Disc, 7' Road Boss Grader, 8' KK Blade
    1966 JD 110H with Snow Blade, Mower Deck
    1968 Case 195 with Snow Blade, Mower Deck, Trailer

Tractor
    BX2350

Good Job, nice MIG welds.
    BX2350

FEL, RCK54 MMM, 4' Farm Star BB, 5' Farm Star RB, 5' Rake

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Always nice to see another set of bucket hooks. They look great.
    Regarding placement, many guys choose a spot that is most accessible for their needs and then another in the middle. Others angle them inward a bit. Personally, I chose to place mine in line with the loader arm attachment. I thought it would help offer some stability if I ever have to use only one hook. I also angled mine inward towards each other, figuring I would always use both hooks, not just one. The other concern would be not to have the chain slip off the side accidentally.
    What's most important is to have some sort of plate underneath the hook to help distribute the force so they don't tear off under load. And that they are secure with good welds.
    Looks to me you did a fine job on your hooks, Richard.
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

I had a single hook on each end of the top of my 4720 bucket and they worked good. I was thinking of putting 2 hooks on each end next time. One facing forward and one facing back. I have had times where the chain fell off and this would help prevent that.

Comments?

D.
    ----------------------------------
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts
    ----------------------------------