Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD650

Default 3/8" Hitch Pins or attachment Pins?

Anybody know what Grade of steel they use on those pins? I really hated to drill out to 1/2 inch if those pins are Grade 5 or better. Working on the final details on my Thumb and need to attach to the dipper boom.

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Default Re: 3/8" Hitch Pins or attachment Pins?

I don't know the grade of small pins like that, but I wouldn't hesitate to go to 1/2" or even larger.
    I presume the pins you refer too will take some kind of force and not just used for "parking" the thumb? It's not so much the shear strength of the small pins, but because of the small surface area touching vs force, hole elongation over time in the jaws or the pins bending will be a bigger problem, IMHO. It's easy to overlook or underestimate the torsional forces applied. Most of the smaller diameter pins are used for retaining purposes.
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD650

Default Re: 3/8" Hitch Pins or attachment Pins?

Quote Originally Posted by 3RRL
    I don't know the grade of small pins like that, but I wouldn't hesitate to go to 1/2" or even larger.
    I presume the pins you refer too will take some kind of force and not just used for "parking" the thumb? It's not so much the shear strength of the small pins, but because of the small surface area touching vs force, hole elongation over time in the jaws or the pins bending will be a bigger problem, IMHO. It's easy to overlook or underestimate the torsional forces applied. Most of the smaller diameter pins are used for retaining purposes.
    Thanks for the answer, I did go to 1/2 inch, just to make sure!