Now a driveway gravel 57 and #8 question...

/ Now a driveway gravel 57 and #8 question... #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I did so well with the barn ramp question I thought to try one on the driveway.
We have a five year old, 300 ft driveway. They dug down maybe 10" and started with baseball size crushed rock and worked up to a 304 or 411 dust and small crushed rock combo. Then finished with some 57's.
I was supposed to add some crushed #8's? later that year but never got around to it. Now the drive is nice and flat and I am ready to add my #8's but I don't know how much I should put down. One, two or three inches? I don't know.
The 57's, whick are 3/4 inch crushed are spotty and thinning and the crushed #8's are supposed to hold things together and keep the grit down in the spring.
Any ideas how much to put down would be helpful. Thanks.

/ Now a driveway gravel 57 and #8 question... #2  
IMO #8's are not good for a driveway. They get caught in tire tread, (lost of stone nicks on your car), end up in the garage, and are easily kicked all over when walking. I like #57's. Its all personal preference here. You really don't need a lot of stone for the cap, 1 thin layer is enough.

/ Now a driveway gravel 57 and #8 question...
IMO #8's are not good for a driveway. They get caught in tire tread, (lost of stone nicks on your car), end up in the garage, and are easily kicked all over when walking. I like #57's. Its all personal preference here. You really don't need a lot of stone for the cap, 1 thin layer is enough.

The 57's seem to kick all over the place and shoot into the grass. If you have more than a little bit they seem to slide and "crunch" under your feet. We now have 57's but it still tracks grit all over the place in the spring. Plus, they plow up too easy in the winter. Wife doesn't like this and wants me to fix it because we have several dogs. Six but don't ask.
They guys that built the house --quality Mennonite/Amish builders--say they put down #8s on top of the the 57's and the one-on-top-of-the-other works fine. I have seen this mix on other drives and looks OK and doesn't seem to stick in the tires but maybe I haven't paid attention?

Last edited:
   / Now a driveway gravel 57 and #8 question... #4  
The 57's seem to kick all over the place and shoot into the grass. If you have more than a little bit they seem to slide and "crunch" under your feet. If we have a thin layer of 57's it still tracks grit all over the place in the spring. Plus, they plow up too easy in the winter. Wife doesn't like this and wants me to fix it.
I've had 304's, 411, 57, and 8's on portions of my drive over the past few years. On a level surface, the best has been 411's finished with an inch or less of 8's. Clean, smooth, and quiet. I have had very little issue with the 8's stuck in tires, but that would vary on tire style I guess. If you have a wet heavy snow that you plow off, 8's get pulled with it easily, but they are easy to blow back onto the drive early in the spring with a handheld blower.

/ Now a driveway gravel 57 and #8 question... #5  
Hey to all you buckeyes!

I've used both 57's and 8's on my 260' driveway. First, I'm real fussy how I maintain my driveway. Just ask my wife!! LOL

I have #8 limestone starting at the street to the house. I have #57 limestone from around the house back to the rear buildings.

The #8's look great but, require more maintenance that the #57's. I fabed an over sized float/drag to level the #8's. I pull the 6' float over the #8's and results with a super flat/level drive surface. The #8's do plow up easier during the snow season.
The #57's pack together better for a more solid base. Be hide my house I dug down 16" to "hard pack" then filled with #57's. I have no problems at all. I run loaded dump trucks over the driveway. I hope this helps.
Good luck