Got Bored 2.0 LOL

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL #1  

excelagator

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
It took a few months with other projects going on, but it is done.

Here is the finished project. I built this for field clean-up, dethatching. A small thatcher would not have worked for us. I found in heavily thatch areas works really well. I believe set=up right I could use this for raking too.

The width is 5 feet. Hindsight 6 feet would have been better. I used 7" spring tines instead, 30 in all. I picked up tines at Farm & Fleet or .98 cents a piece!
I have not broken one yet even with full weight on it. The gauge wheel frames have 30 degrees of caster so they follow well. The gauge wheels supports are removable or you can flip them up for storage. The depth can be set from the spacers on the gauge spindles. Yes there is a piece missing, It was tanning itself in Miami and was unavailable at time of photo! :D

I picked this up at good local antique dealer I know for $15. I did get the cast mounting bracket also. I did find a stamping "Empire" on parts. It is small one it could be pulled by a garden tractor, but will be by our JD 2210 since it has a 3 point. BTW, It has mount for a depth wheel. Does anyone have a pic or description I can go by???

Here it is after I did a electrolytic rust removal and pressure washed it. I cleaned the anode also and dunk it again. Works much better IMHO that way.

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL #2  
Nice, Can I borrow the dethatcher for a couple days? Sure could use it.

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL #3  
That is probably the nicest, most heavy duty dethatcher I've ever seen.

I usually think of dethatchers and such as being kind of disposable. Looks like yours is good for the long haul. I bet drilling all those holes and welding all the nuts was a blast. :)

When you're tired of it, please drop it off at my Brother's place in Rhinelander.

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL #4  
Great job on the dethatcher excelagator. Ive been thinking of building one of those for a long time now . Maybe a shop project for this winter ;)

Bob

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL #5  
After taking another look I have to tell ya, I like your GW spacers, pretty cool.

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL #6  
OH la la, that is one nice dethatcher you put together.
Great job on those neat adjustable gauge wheels too. Excellent work!

/ Got Bored 2.0 LOL
Thanks guys! To be honest I have learned a lot through this forum on fabrication of implements.

Yeah it is heavy. The tubing is 2x2x1/4" and the smaller tubing are 1-1/2x1-1/2. The tine mount is 2x2x3/8" The tubing was scrap I had, The angle was all that was available at the yard. My son and I moved a few times and I decided to finish it asap.:rolleyes:

Drilling I cheated:D I waited till I got a bigger drill press. I did drill pilot holes first and drilled to size the second round. Tacking in the nuts was way easier.:D

The "GW" spacers (good name) were done because 3/4" washers were over a buck here and I needed a bunch. I took 1x1x1/4" square tube and cut to 23 mms. I just tack welded the washers on the four sides of the tubing. It roughly gave me a 1 inch spacer.

With what I had on hand it cost me $130 completed.

Thanks,
Dan