Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Default Got Bored 2.0 LOL

It took a few months with other projects going on, but it is done.

Here is the finished project. I built this for field clean-up, dethatching. A small thatcher would not have worked for us. I found in heavily thatch areas works really well. I believe set=up right I could use this for raking too.

The width is 5 feet. Hindsight 6 feet would have been better. I used 7" spring tines instead, 30 in all. I picked up tines at Farm & Fleet or .98 cents a piece!
    I have not broken one yet even with full weight on it. The gauge wheel frames have 30 degrees of caster so they follow well. The gauge wheels supports are removable or you can flip them up for storage. The depth can be set from the spacers on the gauge spindles. Yes there is a piece missing, It was tanning itself in Miami and was unavailable at time of photo!

I picked this up at good local antique dealer I know for $15. I did get the cast mounting bracket also. I did find a stamping "Empire" on parts. It is small one it could be pulled by a garden tractor, but will be by our JD 2210 since it has a 3 point. BTW, It has mount for a depth wheel. Does anyone have a pic or description I can go by???

Here it is after I did a electrolytic rust removal and pressure washed it. I cleaned the anode also and dunk it again. Works much better IMHO that way.
    "My tractors do not make up for my lack of manhood, but rather make up for my lack of childhood"

-JD 2210, 200CX FEL, 52" MMM, and some addtions
    -78 Case 446
    -80ish 12 HP Workhorse

Tractor
    JD 2320

Default Re: Got Bored 2.0 LOL

Nice, Can I borrow the dethatcher for a couple days? Sure could use it.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Tractor
    John Deere 5303

That is probably the nicest, most heavy duty dethatcher I've ever seen.

I usually think of dethatchers and such as being kind of disposable. Looks like yours is good for the long haul. I bet drilling all those holes and welding all the nuts was a blast.

When you're tired of it, please drop it off at my Brother's place in Rhinelander.
    2008 JD 5303 with 522 Loader, iMatch, 6' Frontier Rotary Cutter, 7.5' KK Disc, 7' Road Boss Grader, 8' KK Blade
    1966 JD 110H with Snow Blade, Mower Deck
    1968 Case 195 with Snow Blade, Mower Deck, Trailer

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 4610, kubota 4200, JD 455, Toro 256E zero turn mower, Case 135 excavator, hydraulic dumpcart

Great job on the dethatcher excelagator. Ive been thinking of building one of those for a long time now . Maybe a shop project for this winter

Bob
    Kubota 4610, Kubota 4200, FEL's, JD 455, Toro Zero turn mower, Case 135 excavator, hydraulic dump trailer, york rake, disc harrow, land plow, bush hog, pallet forks, 3 pth seed spreader, 3 pth york broom, and other impliments of distruction.

Tractor
    JD 2320

After taking another look I have to tell ya, I like your GW spacers, pretty cool.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

OH la la, that is one nice dethatcher you put together.
    Great job on those neat adjustable gauge wheels too. Excellent work!
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Thanks guys! To be honest I have learned a lot through this forum on fabrication of implements.

Yeah it is heavy. The tubing is 2x2x1/4" and the smaller tubing are 1-1/2x1-1/2. The tine mount is 2x2x3/8" The tubing was scrap I had, The angle was all that was available at the yard. My son and I moved a few times and I decided to finish it asap.

Drilling I cheated I waited till I got a bigger drill press. I did drill pilot holes first and drilled to size the second round. Tacking in the nuts was way easier.

The "GW" spacers (good name) were done because 3/4" washers were over a buck here and I needed a bunch. I took 1x1x1/4" square tube and cut to 23 mms. I just tack welded the washers on the four sides of the tubing. It roughly gave me a 1 inch spacer.

With what I had on hand it cost me $130 completed.

Thanks,
    Dan
    "My tractors do not make up for my lack of manhood, but rather make up for my lack of childhood"

-JD 2210, 200CX FEL, 52" MMM, and some addtions
    -78 Case 446
    -80ish 12 HP Workhorse