harrow drag

/ harrow drag #1  

ccga

New to the site and already have a question.What do yall think would be the best drag for a harrow that is to be used in the woods to plant food plots. Board or a steel pipe or any other good ideas. My problem is that we are getting a deep furrow from the outside disk on the back gangs.I tried less angle on the rear gangs but it didnt seem to help.Any ideas appreciated.

/ harrow drag #2  
Two part answer. I don't know what kind of disk you have, but many disks, especially offsets, leave a furrow. Some manufacturers offer a "furrow filler" option to fill it in. You may want to check to see if you could add something similar to your disk. As to the type of drag, it depends on your dirt -- how big and hard the clods are, etc. I have used 2x8s, old fence, commercially made farm harrows and railroad rails. On the latter, I have one that consists of one rail about 8ft. I have another consisting of 3 rails chained together and spaced about 3-4 ft. apart. I think you will find conditions will vary and that changes what you need.

/ harrow drag #3  
We built a drag out of 2X12s, overlapping them 2 1/2 to 3 inches to make a herringbone. It worked well in all the types of soil we had, and never dragged much ground if it dug in. In fact, we would occasoinally throw stones on it as we picked them to get it to smooth off the ground a little better. It was cheap and effective.

/ harrow drag #4  
New to the site and already have a question.What do yall think would be the best drag for a harrow that is to be used in the woods to plant food plots. Board or a steel pipe or any other good ideas. My problem is that we are getting a deep furrow from the outside disk on the back gangs.I tried less angle on the rear gangs but it didnt seem to help.Any ideas appreciated.

Used tires and a piece of telephone pole

tractor-dragusinglogandtires.jpg

/ harrow drag #5  
we used to drag a chain link fence with 4x4's bolted to the ends. I did find a nice old
David Bradley attachment that has spikes and is addjustable. its great for stone and woods and i use it all the time now.
forgeblast

/ harrow drag #6  
If you use a drag it will have to extend past your disk and with you are in the woods, you will end up bending or breaking it most likely. The simplest solution might be to change the outside disk blades. I think the rule of thumb is the front outside blade is one size smaller and on the back gang two sizes smaller. If your disk is not level or twisted may not work.

/ harrow drag #7  
How about an I-beam attached to the draw bar by 20' of chain? You can make 2 attachment points. One with the beam in an "H" configuration to cut and fill and one in the "I" configuration to smooth.

Or get 2 of them with the first in "H" and the second in "I" for a 1 pass finish.

jb

/ harrow drag #8  
Last spring I prepared the ground and planted about 3.5 acres of bermuda grass. After discing I used 2 land scape timbers and some chain link fence as a drag. I pulled this rig with my 4 wheeler. It was much more manuverable than the tractor which would be a plus for you if clear space is limited around your food plots.

/ harrow drag #9  
I use chain link fence too with landscape timbers for wieght. Just roll it up when your done for easy storage.

/ harrow drag #10  
Picked this one up at an auction for $4.00. Note the modifciation to add a 2" ball receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_0974_1.JPG
    IMG_0974_1.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 943