Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 850, Ford 1210, Ford 1700, Bobcat 742

Default Home-made crawler

I have the transmission and differential for a Ford 1700, from the bell housing to the PTO. No engine, no front end, no steering, no tin. I hate to see something like this go for scrap, and it would take a long-term posting on ebay to find a buyer. Why couldn't it be made into a crawler? Use frame rails to connect the rear axle housing, bell housing, motor mounts, and radiator. Use a 22R Toyota motor, power a hydraulic pump off the front of the engine, use 16" junk tires, rubber tracks from a mini excavator or half tracks from an old Ford tractor--you get the picture. Are there plans for something like this, or has anyone tried it and would like to share their experience

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default Re: Home-made crawler

I'd say go for it!!!!!

It will take more money then you think, take ten times as long as you could ever imagine, and eat up allot of space while you are working on it, but the results could be something really cool.

Of course, sometimes it's just better to get rid of that extra stuff and focus your time, money and energy on what you realy need to do, and not on what sounds like fun.

I have one of those projects in an old jeep. It's been years of tinkering to get it to the point it's taking up space in my shop and in the way. When it's muddy out or I just don't feel like doing anything else, I spend a few hours on it. Then it sits for a few weeks or even months.

Good luck,
    Eddie

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by tree grower View Post
    I have the transmission and differential for a Ford 1700, from the bell housing to the PTO. No engine, no front end, no steering, no tin. I hate to see something like this go for scrap, and it would take a long-term posting on ebay to find a buyer. Why couldn't it be made into a crawler? Use frame rails to connect the rear axle housing, bell housing, motor mounts, and radiator. Use a 22R Toyota motor, power a hydraulic pump off the front of the engine, use 16" junk tires, rubber tracks from a mini excavator or half tracks from an old Ford tractor--you get the picture. Are there plans for something like this, or has anyone tried it and would like to share their experience
    Fordson had these in the 1920s

My DIL's father has a 1982 Ford 1700. Nice tractor. That 2 cyl Shibaura diesel cranks out abuot 23 hp (pto).

Tractor
    New Holland TC 55 DA, 4110 John Deere, HT 20 Bolens, 1456 Bolens

I'm voting for the cub cadet crawler.... what a magnicificent looking piece. I would bet viewers take a step back in time and try to figure if their dealer ever knew they existed.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 1830 BX

They didn't,it was custom made
    DGS

Tractor
    BX 24

Tree Grower, That would be crazy cool. And crazy hard work. But again-crazy cool.
    -Matt

"There is nothing more exhilarating then being shot at and missed." -Winston Churchhill

"I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds." -Louis Nizer

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I copied these links because I saw this some time ago, This is the best explination of how to build a track vechical I have ever seen. These are a must view if your considering building one. Ther are 4 vidieos hear

http://sclipo.com/outer_flvplayer_ne...0&video_type=O

http://sclipo.com/outer_flvplayer_ne...5&video_type=O

http://sclipo.com/outer_flvplayer_ne...0&video_type=O

http://sclipo.com/outer_flvplayer_ne...1&video_type=O
    Last edited by Timber; 08-29-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Kubota B7800, Sundown Loader Forks, Landpride PHD, Sundown 66" Box Blade, 800 pound Ballast Drum with chain storage, ATI Grapple, 60" WR Long Diverter, Landpride Brush mower, 7' Landpride Rake,Manlift platform, Bucket mounted 6' Snow Plow, 3 point Cherry Picker, Subsoiler

Tractor
    Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE

Wow! That little Sherman tank is awesome. That would be really cool to drive in parades. Some of his design ideas are really ingenious too. The suspension guide rollers are ace. Replace the wood and plastic components with metal and it could do tractor work. Rubber belt transmission is cool but probably wouldn't hold up to tractor work. Hydraulic motors is the way to go for a tractor application.
    "I don't do landscaping... I do battle with vegetation"

check out
    Machine Builders Network
    theres some homade crawlers on there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast