Build a pressure washer?

/ Build a pressure washer? #1  

Bob_Trevithick

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4300 MFWD
Probably wouldn't work, but I just got an air compressor finally, and I seems like I should be able to make my own pressure washer for it.

I have an image of something like a 55 gallon drum. Water outlet on the bottom, air hose attachment on the top. Fill the drum part way with water, pressurize it, and spray.

Would I end up with:

A) A workable pressure washer?

B) A bomb?

C) A new entry for Ripley's Believe it or not? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I can't find any pressure washers that don't have their own electric or gas-engine power sources.. which I guess is what I'm hoping to accomplish (saving some money...)

Thanks,
Bob

/ Build a pressure washer? #2  
You would most likely end up with something that gave you pressure like a household water supply.

Soundguy

/ Build a pressure washer?
Not nearly enough pressure, eh?

I saw a reference in another thread to something at Northern Tools called a "Thunder Gun." You hook up both a water and an air hose, and get what they claim is superior to a 500psi pressure washer. I think I also saw a comment here about not to bother with it. Anybody have something like this? It's about $35. Just to clean mud off the frame, it might be worth it?

/ Build a pressure washer? #4  
Bob, it may just depend on which one you get (and I'm not sure how you determine which is a good one without trial and error). Many years ago, I bought one when I lived in town and don't remember which make and model it was, but it didn't work worth a hoot. There was no check valve on the city water and I was blowing air back into my water lines. However, now I have an Amflo 2000-G Hydro Air Gun that works great with my air line (100-125 psi) and my garden hose (84+- psi).

My brother originally sold it to a customer who thought it would have a pencil sized solid stream of water and it doesn't; it has an adjustable spray pattern but will not make a solid stream, so I took it. Paperwork says it works with 75 psi or more air pressure and approximately 70 psi water pressure.

It might (or might not) suit you, but it sure suits me; came from Amflo Products, 1111 East McFadden Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92705, phone: 714-547-9000 or 800-922-3606.

/ Build a pressure washer? #5  
I purchased (thru JC Whitney, I think) one of those "pressure" washers that used your air compressor & hose. Not only did it not work worth a flip, but it kept the compressor going past its duty cycle (20 gal/5.5HP). If you are really wanting to go the cheap route, go with one of those garden hose nozzles (not the trigger type, but the type that looks like a really stretched out funnel). They take a little while, but do get off caked-up stuff pretty well.

If you really want the pressure, but $$$ is a big concern, you might look at the $80 unit from Harbor Freight (Wal-Mart has one that looks really similar for about $90 round here.) I love mine so far (not near as powerful as the $1000 units, but good for my needs)

/ Build a pressure washer? #6  
I'd vote for B), a bomb. If your 55 gal drum had any defects or weakness (and it is likely to have one after rusting from holding water), anything in the immediate vicinity (including yourself) would be "damaged."

Let's just say I've had a few interesting experiences making water rockets from soda bottles and an air fitting. Too much pressure and your ears will ring for half an hour. A 55 gallon drum might have you ringing heaven's doorbell.

Stay safe,

-Chris

/ Build a pressure washer? #7  
I had a thundergun from Northern before I bought my pressure washer. Worked ok, but my two hp compressor could'nt quite keep up with the flow demands. Probably would work pretty good with a 5hp. Also, I borrowed a friends electric pressure washer and it worked great. They electrics can be had for as little as $100. The one I used would even cycle itself off when it was'nt being used.
Jerry

/ Build a pressure washer? #8  
I've got one of those, similar to the Thunder Gun. Mine is a Craftsman. $40.

I used it last night to clean off the siding. It has a hose where you can suck up the pressure washer cleaning mixtures. It worked decent for cleaning off the white siding (just pollen and a little mud left from construction). It was a little bit of a pain pulling 3 hoses around though. It didn't work at all on the sidewalks though. They have a little reddish tint from the mud. I ended up scrubbing with a scrub brush and using the sprayer to rinse.

I've used it to clean mud off the tractor a couple of times. It does a decent job there too, just takes a while.

I've got a 5hp CH air compressor. It seems to have enough power, I just try to let it rest every once in a while.

I think an electric pressure washer would work a little better, but I plan to buy a nice gas powered one as soon as money allows (a new house is expensive, not including the mortgage /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif), and this sprayer was a quick fix.

--Brad

/ Build a pressure washer? #9  
   / Build a pressure washer? #10  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=382417&prmenbr=6970>Northern Tool Electric Pressure Washer</A>

This unit is ~50% more than a similiar output/pressure unit with a Honda gas motor on sale at Home Depot this week for $399.

Home Depot Honda Powered Pressure Washer
2400 PSI 5 HP 2.5 GPM Gas Pressure Washer
Model: #EXHA2425
SKU: #819683
$399, with no shipping charges.

A101040_2.JPG

Attachments

• 53-142254-157850_lg.jpg
    53-142254-157850_lg.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 980