Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 790

Default Re: Tree Puller for hard to get at trees

Saw something similar to the rim concept years ago in an old picture of how farmers used to pull stumps with horses. They would take a short but thick log with a stout branch proceeding from it. They would then lay the log on its side and snug it up against the stump with the branch up in the air. A cable was secured from the base of the branch down around the stump. The horse just simply walked forward with a cable pulling the top of the branch down.
    DCox
    2005 John Deere 790

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post

the chain over rim is not rigid, so no mechanical advantage.

Rhett
    Well sort-of and No. With the rim placed right up against the tree, there is a 2 to 1 advantage. This is derived from the fact that the radius of the rim (distance from fulcrum to tree) is 1/2 the diameter of the rim, which in fact serves as the larger lever arm. It really functions exactly the same as the bipod, until it moves away from the tree. The farther it moves, the less advantage there is. All bets would be off if the wheel was turning about it's hub axis, as if it was a huge fixed pulley, but it is not.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010, HST, Ford NAA, Cat D7, Cat D3B

Just bought a grubber from e-bay for $64 shipping included. There are three left. See or search for item # 300285688631

Happy weeding!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    IH-1086 and a GRAY

Quote Originally Posted by djradz View Post
    Well sort-of and No. With the rim placed right up against the tree, there is a 2 to 1 advantage. This is derived from the fact that the radius of the rim (distance from fulcrum to tree) is 1/2 the diameter of the rim, which in fact serves as the larger lever arm. It really functions exactly the same as the bipod, until it moves away from the tree. The farther it moves, the less advantage there is. All bets would be off if the wheel was turning about it's hub axis, as if it was a huge fixed pulley, but it is not.
    agreed, except that.
    if pull chain is draped over the rim, the rim is acting as a large pulley, no advantage due too the chain not being fixed to define fulcrum.
    if pull chain has a full wrap around rim (as others have suggested), then yes I see an advantage because a fulcrum is defined.

I fully agree to the wheel rim idea, being an easy way to get the job done for those with enough tractor pulling. My little YM just does not have the stuff to go after the larger jobs, so I must resort to the advantage of increased leverage. To bad for me, that with a rim I can only go after smaller stuff, it is much easier to use.

Rhett

Tractor
    B2920

Quote Originally Posted by jonstark View Post
    Just bought a grubber from e-bay for $64 shipping included. There are three left. See or search for item # 300285688631

Happy weeding!
    Now there are only 2 left! Thank you!

I've read this thread would like to see one in action? Anybody have any photo or better yet a video?

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    IH-1086 and a GRAY

dang wedge40, i guess late is better than never.

my little cut strains but it worked, a full size tractor would be ideal.

check out the Tap Root in pix 5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bipod_4inch_pull_01-jpg   -bipod_4inch_pull_02-jpg   -bipod_4inch_pull_03-jpg   -bipod_4inch_pull_04-jpg   -bipod_4inch_pull_05-jpg  

Gold Member

Seems to me that you could put a cross piece half way up the A frame, attach the chain there for the first pull and have some real mechanical advantage. Switch the chain to the top for the final pull. Tractor wouldn't work so hard and you could tackle bigger trees.

Tractor
    still looking

Here's a pic of those wheel loaders from days gone by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -load3-jpg  

Tractor
    still looking

And speaking about fulcrums and pivot points, this one always gives me a chuckle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cant-lift-jpg  

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast