Tree Puller for hard to get at trees

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #81  
I'd like to see a picture of that. For some reason I'm not able to grasp the concept :(

Not nearby to photograph but maybe can describe it better. Get 6" long piece of 2" id schedule 40 iron pipe. At one end on the outside weld the end link of 3-4 link piece of 5/16 or 3/8 chain. Now one end is attached with 2-3 links hanging. Construction completed. Pass the grab hook end of your pulling chain through the pipe from the same end that the links are welded to. Wrap the pulling chain around the tree & attach the grab hook to the loose end link of the chain welded to the pipe. This forms a noose around the tree. When you pull the tractor end of the pulling chain tight the noose tightens pulling the end of the pipe perpendicular toward the tree where it bites into the bark/wood. Further pullng tips the pipe parallel with the tree ( as the tree tips over) & levers the noose tighter.

Hope that helps. I tried to find a sketchpad program online but none would me save my drawing. MikeD74T

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #82  
Not nearby to photograph but maybe can describe it better. Get 6" long piece of 2" id schedule 40 iron pipe. At one end on the outside weld the end link of 3-4 link piece of 5/16 or 3/8 chain. Now one end is attached with 2-3 links hanging. Construction completed. Pass the grab hook end of your pulling chain through the pipe from the same end that the links are welded to. Wrap the pulling chain around the tree & attach the grab hook to the loose end link of the chain welded to the pipe. This forms a noose around the tree. When you pull the tractor end of the pulling chain tight the noose tightens pulling the end of the pipe perpendicular toward the tree where it bites into the bark/wood. Further pullng tips the pipe parallel with the tree ( as the tree tips over) & levers the noose tighter.

Hope that helps. I tried to find a sketchpad program online but none would me save my drawing. MikeD74T

Thank you. 1 more question. Is the pipe horizontal, or vertical - assuming the tree is vertical?

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #83  
Thank you. 1 more question. Is the pipe horizontal, or vertical - assuming the tree is vertical?

The pipe is parallel with the pulling chain because the pulling chain passes thru the pipe. If you have a long low hitch the pipe & chain will start out horizontal, short hitch it may be angled upward to the point of attachment on the tractor.

ICC Type J-1 New England Style Cable Choker This is a cable logging choker. Imagine the pulling chain where the cable is, the pipe where the slider is, the 3 links attached to the pipe , & a grab hook on the end of the pulling chain ( where the links are on the cable) to hook to the links now on the pipe.

You could also use a grab hook welded to the pipe and just hook the bitter end of the pulling chain to it. Hope that's not even more confusing. MikeD74T

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #84  
Now I get it. thank you. Sorry for being so dense.

:eek:

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #85  
MikeD74T
I like the choker idea. It took me a while to see it too. OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite includes a draw program. Chain is hard to draw. Does this fit your description?

After the earlier posts about the Weed Wrench I had to try making one this weekend. I printed the patent drawings as a guide. I added an additional pivot point where the original design seems to use the slop in the slider to compensate for the arc path of the handle pivot. The handle, fixed jaw support, and base are 1x2x1/8" tube. The slider is 1.5 x 1.5 x 3/16 and the slider sleeve is 2 x 2 x 3/16. I gobbed some hard facing on the jaws and ground it sharp to make grippers. The 5/16 SHCS (180,000psi) pivot bolts seem to be holding up in the single shear pivots. I tried one of mild steel and it bent. Oh yeah, it works really good! I was having so much fun with it I gave myself a sore back! :)

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #86  
   / Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #87  
Except for a method to attach the chain, it seems that a 6x6 with a chain groove would work. How would it be to cut the groove in the top of the 6x6, attach a chain in the groove that extends far enough one way to wrap around the tree and far enough the other way to hook pull chain from the tractor? Again, not sure how to attach the chain in the groove, maybe with long lag bolts? Would a 6 foot 6X6 be too cumbersome to keep upright while hooking up the chains?

Just thinking out loud. Help me if this has merit.

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #88  
I think you really need the bipod design because like you said it will not want to stay upright and could flop over violently under tension.

/ Tree Puller for hard to get at trees #90  
Have any of you tried or reviewed the portable winch web site. I own one of these winches and have pulled many a tree. Some as large as 24 inches in diameter at the base. This past year I made my own pulley block with triple pulleys. Ten thousand pounds of pulling power. Have to use low stretch polyethylene rope. A lot safer than steel rope or chain. With the block at the base of another tree you can stay out of the path of the falling tree. I think the web site is portablewinch.com