Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #11  
I had a front mount blower on my CUT but each time that I wanted to go into my woods to do logging it was a 2 hour change over to the FEL. I even mount a blade in place of the blower but I had no ground clearence. I like what I have now and it works very well on my 1/2 mile driveway. You guys are right however , it does set out in front of the tires quite a distance.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #12  
I had a front mount blower on my CUT but each time that I wanted to go into my woods to do logging it was a 2 hour change over to the FEL. I even mount a blade in place of the blower but I had no ground clearence. I like what I have now and it works very well on my 1/2 mile driveway. You guys are right however , it does set out in front of the tires quite a distance.
I had a frame mounted front blade on my old 850 and it worked great for a 2wd. I upgraded to a 4wd and went with a FEL mounted plow for the same reasons as Deelope describes. The FEL blade can be swapped out for the bucket in seconds, and can also be raised higher to push large piles back. My blade floats too, and once the gravel is solid in the winter I have no problems with it. The frame mounted blade gives you much better control if you have dips and contours to your drive though. Either one is much better than a rear mounted blade if you get much snow.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #13  
I have tried many combinations and found that 'straight line push' frame mounting to be best.
The blade attached to a loader will cause your front te become very light and unsteerable as the arms push upwards.
Since I mounted my blade with the arms pivoted on my subframe I can steer a load of snow to where I want it to go.
Also I angled my blade to the right and can plow flat out in 3 gear with complete control .

My little Mitsubishi is but 48" wide and 20 hp but handles my 6' blade no problems, like I said, flat out in 3rd gear!
Once I have gathered all the snow to one side of the drive with the blade I make a pass with the rear blower and blow it away into the forest.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #14  
I'll cast my vote for the frame mount front plow. I also use the box blade on the rear for extra weight to scrape and pull snow.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #15  
The blade attached to a loader will cause your front te become very light and unsteerable as the arms push upwards.

Would operating the FEL in float not prevent this? You guys got me worried. Supposed to take delivery of my quick attach (FEL Mount) front plow tomorrow.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #16  
Would operating the FEL in float not prevent this? You guys got me worried. Supposed to take delivery of my quick attach (FEL Mount) front plow tomorrow.

It did not help for me...basically what happened is as the blade filled will snow and the rear kept pushing forward, then the front wheels would get light. You can try the same thing in a dirt pile-drive in and keep pushing, the front wheels will come off the ground. When that happened, you could lift the blade to add more weight, but then you are not plowing all the snow and then driving over what you missed.

I think the people who have had great success with there's have muck larger/heavier machine than mine...

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #18  
I've lived at the same place for 25 yrs. Blacktop drive is about 100 yards long, plus a large parking area near the house, and along the front of my 30' x 45' pole shed.

The first ten years I used an 8n with a 6' blade, always plowing in reverse. It did OK, and I never bent anything, but it was a pain in the neck (literally). The next ten years I used a 4x4 truck with a 7.5' hydroturn plow, and if I could afford to drive one, would still be going that route today. The last 5 years I've used a '65 Ford 2000 with matching FASCO loader - 7' snow bucket, no downpressure, clumsy as ***, 2wd w/chains and ballast box. Had 100+ inches of snow last winter and it did just fine, but wasn't ideal.

I enjoy using the loader, and don't mind the little extra time it takes if it means the snow ends up where I want it to. Seat-time is seat-time after all.

Time will tell if my 3510i with a 6' bucket and 6' box-blade will prove to be the answer to my snow-removal needs, but I think it'll do just fine, and am looking forward to a lot of snow this winter (I know - sick).

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #19  
I think the people who have had great success with there's have muck larger/heavier machine than mine...

Thanks for the clarification. I'm using it on a DX45 with loaded rear tires. Tractor weight is 4,000 lbs + and blade weighs just under 700 lbs so I should be fine.....I hope.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #20  
Here are a couple pics of my FEL plow on my DX55. I do not run the FEL in float since the blade floats on its own. I raise the loader until it starts to pull the blade off the ground, then lower it a few inches. That keeps all the weight of the loader on the tractor, and only the blade istelf is floating to follow the contours of the drive. Early in the season when the drive is mushy, I hover the blade with a fine touch on the loader controls and skim just above the gravel so I don't tear it up. This blade is a monster and really moves the snow with ease. The FEL curl/dump controls come in handy letting me pull the top back so the blade rests on the shoes, and rolling it forward slightly to use the cutting edge on paved areas.

Attachments

• Lights and Snow Blade.JPG
    Lights and Snow Blade.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 647
  • Feb01#88.JPG
    Feb01#88.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,006