Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #1  

alltoys

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana R28
What is your preference? A front snow plow mounted to a FEL or to the front frame of the tractor? Or a 3 pt Hitch type with the FEL bucket on the front to move snow to a pile?

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #2  
For a gravel drive, and if the snow isn't too deep, I'm finding that a rear blade with gauge wheels seems to work a lot better than I expected. With that setup, I'm able to get most of the snow off without taking much gravel.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #3  
A plow on the front is not only easier to control, but wieght transfer, especially if the tractor is 2WD, favors front mount. We used to plow our farm lane with a tractor equipped with an eight foot front mounted plow AND eight foot rear-mounted blade. Most of the time, we used the rear blade to pull snow away from garage doors, etc. It was nice to have the rear blade for ballast, too.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #4  
What is your preference? A front snow plow mounted to a FEL or to the front frame of the tractor? Or a 3 pt Hitch type with the FEL bucket on the front to move snow to a pile?
I have a BX23 with FEL and a BX1500 with a frame mounted front blade .

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #5  
My preference is a frame mounted front plow, I tried the FEL mounted plow with poor results.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #6  
If you FEL mount a plow so the blade will float you will not have any problems. The FEL becomes the 4X4 truck and it stays at one height while plowing. Works for me.

Attachments

• Tractor 003.jpg
    Tractor 003.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 3,825
Last edited:
   / Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #7  
My preference is a frame mounted front plow, I tried the FEL mounted plow with poor results.

If you had of floated the blade instead of that solid mount the we seen in here is would have worked very well for you.

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #8  
There is no doubt which I would prefer. I have no need for a FEL in the winter. If you get a lot of snow regularly, you would want an arrangement like this:

Right-front-Kubota-driveway.jpg

/ Snow Plow, Front or 3pt Hitch #9  
If you had of floated the blade instead of that solid mount the we seen in here is would have worked very well for you.

I am not convinced of this...For my small tractor, the plow ended up to far in front of the wheels.