Adding a 3rd control for the FEL

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #1  

wr400

Tractor
2000 Jd 990
I am stuck with a snow plow issue! I have a blade off of my old truck RIP. Anyway it is going on my FEL. I have two options one is to dtach my curl to do left an right on the plow. There other is to add a 3rd control. I like idea number two best incase I ever want to add a brush grapple or somthing. here is the problem! I dont know how to add a third to my JD 990. Any ideas?
Jeff

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #2  
I am no expert in hydraulics by any means, but from reading alot of posts here on TBN, its my understanding that plows tends to come with single acting cylinders and your curl cylinder is double acting. you would need to add a bypass connector to allow the fluids be returned to tractor. You would be better off replacing the single to double acting ram. Since you want to add a grapple , i am sure it will have a double acting ram on it as well. So no matter which way you go , you probably will need to think everything has to be double acting on your tractor. Maybe a fellow TBN'er might disagree and have a better approach. :D I'm always ready to learn more too.;)

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL
Never thought of it like that! I figured make the plow go right the other cylinder would follow! There are only two hoses on the plow. One for each cylinder.

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #4  
I am no expert in hydraulics by any means, but from reading alot of posts here on TBN, its my understanding that plows tends to come with single acting cylinders and your curl cylinder is double acting. you would need to add a bypass connector to allow the fluids be returned to tractor. You would be better off replacing the single to double acting ram. Since you want to add a grapple , i am sure it will have a double acting ram on it as well. So no matter which way you go , you probably will need to think everything has to be double acting on your tractor. Maybe a fellow TBN'er might disagree and have a better approach. :D I'm always ready to learn more too.;)

Two SA cylinders will work fine in this situation, there is no need for any other"bypass connector"(whatever that is:confused:)

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #5  
I am stuck with a snow plow issue! I have a blade off of my old truck RIP. Anyway it is going on my FEL. I have two options one is to dtach my curl to do left an right on the plow. There other is to add a 3rd control. I like idea number two best incase I ever want to add a brush grapple or somthing. here is the problem! I dont know how to add a third to my JD 990. Any ideas?
Jeff

The best way is to use a electric solenoid diverter valve that effectively "splits" the curl circuit. A button is added to the joystick to operate it, so when the button is pushed-the plow will operate.

I added one to my FEL, You can view the project HERE, and HERE. Also do a search on these terms for hours of reading on this very subject:

diverter
3rd function
FEL plow
FEL snowplow
grapple

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL
tractor 004.jpgKenny D your a smart man! wish you lived a bit closer for more help! Any way I just ordered the kit from Johndeere to ad controlled hydraulics to the back of my tracter. They said it comes with the spool valve an everything for the cost of 255.00. We will see! They did asurre me I can cange direction. This means I will just have to find some long hoses to go from the plow to the back of the tractor. I even have a buddie that can make them for me. I love my tractor!
Jeff

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #7  
Please let me know if I can help further...

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #8  
Jeff

Jeff,
I'm in the very same boat, I've got a 7'6" western plow for free and I'm trying to rig it to my tractor (JD 4310), I was going to make it front mounted to my loader like you mentioned, even though I never liked the idea before, think it's alot of stress on the loader with the plow so far out front. but anyway was going to use my fork frame to hold the plow, after trying it out I realized I still don't like the idea of the loader mounted plow, so now I'm gonna just rig it to my 3PT hitch via the Imatch.
So now I need the 3rd SCV valve, I got the same quote as you, I just hope kenny is right about those single acting cylinders working with the new valve set up???
Let me know how you make out, the dealer said it would be about $250. to have them install it, must not be to involved but not sure I want to do it myself.
I'm going to start another thread on my snow plow project soon so I don't hijack yours, I'll probably have alot of questions.

John,

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #9  
Jeff,
I'm in the very same boat, I've got a 7'6" western plow for free and I'm trying to rig it to my tractor (JD 4310), I was going to make it front mounted to my loader like you mentioned, even though I never liked the idea before, think it's alot of stress on the loader with the plow so far out front. but anyway was going to use my fork frame to hold the plow, after trying it out I realized I still don't like the idea of the loader mounted plow, so now I'm gonna just rig it to my 3PT hitch via the Imatch.
So now I need the 3rd SCV valve, I got the same quote as you, I just hope kenny is right about those single acting cylinders working with the new valve set up???
Let me know how you make out, the dealer said it would be about $250. to have them install it, must not be to involved but not sure I want to do it myself.
I'm going to start another thread on my snow plow project soon so I don't hijack yours, I'll probably have alot of questions.

John,

You can bet that I am right, I have done it as well as MANY others if you search the FEL snowplow threads. Also, on your 4310 the actual valve is already on your machine, what you are buying is the control lever, hard tubing, brackets and QD's. It is not a hard job if you have medium mechanical ability and the tools.

You could also make a frame that mounts to the front of the tractor with the loader off-that has been done before also...

/ Adding a 3rd control for the FEL #10  
I thought we had someone on here that tried that and I believe his 'regen' function played all heck with the SA cylinders.