Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo #1  

tjintheshop

Tractor
Farmall 450-B-H
I just built a Buzz Saw- Wood Splitter combo rig. I had the arbor, blade and splitter but wanted something transportable and pto powered. Engine was bad on the splitter. Bought the structural steel locally and picked up the tires- rims and spindles from the boneyard.

Pics are before the painting. Tried it out and the saw works great. Hums right through 12 in oak and maple. Splitter runs too slow though. I might need a bigger pump.

I have about five hundred in the whole thing.

Attachments

• Todds Stuff 008.jpg
    Todds Stuff 008.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 2,477
  • Todds Stuff 033.jpg
    Todds Stuff 033.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,991
  • Todds Stuff 011.jpg
    Todds Stuff 011.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,856
  • Todds Stuff 015.jpg
    Todds Stuff 015.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,757
  • Todds Stuff 016.jpg
    Todds Stuff 016.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Todds Stuff 018.jpg
    Todds Stuff 018.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,178
   / Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo #2  
I see this is your first post, so let me be one of the first to say Welcome to TBN! Glad to have you aboard. Please update your profile to let us know where you are from.

Your new unit looks interesting. I often wondered how I could mate my buzz saw and splitter into one unit to make my wood cutting / splitting less time consuming. Couple of questions - once you've cut up some wood with the buzz saw, I'm guessing you simply push the blocks to the other end of the table, and then go around and split them up. Is that how you are using it? If that is so, are you concerned about that saw blade being so close to the blocks waiting to be split? Maybe it isn't a concern, but the picture makes it look like they are pretty close. I think I'd want to build a sheet metal guard that closes in the blade on the splitter side of the unit.

Don't let my comments or questions take anything away from your unit. You've given me a few things to think about regarding my own stuff. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Corm

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo #3  
Corm - he's got a guard on it -- take a closer look

tj -- REALLY COOL! I WANT ONE WA-A-A..... I'd bet something like that manufactured would cost several thousand.
what about hooking the splitter up to your tractor hyd?

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo #4  
yeah, that looks to be a great setup! i'd like to see some better pics of it out in the sunlight......or a youtube video would be great!:D

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo
Thanks for all the advice. I will take pics this weekend of the project now that the painting is completed. I run this off of a Farmall B with no hydraulics.

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo #7  
I ran one of those saws a lot of years ago until it showed a tiny almost invisible crack found by my 93 y/o neighbor.
He then explained why he was so crippled and had that large scar on his neck because his old saw had exploded on him despite being warned about a crack on his similar saw blade.
I wasn't able to find a replacement blade for mine, so that ended that.

Really liked using it until then though.

Please be careful out there.

Best regards
Sherweld

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo #8  
I concur with Sherweld - buzzsaws are really dangerous especially if you have no guard for the blade. A good friend of mine had a friend who was using a buzzsaw and it hit an imbedded nail. The blade came apart and the guy was killed by the flying shrapnel. The nail could not be seen as the tree grew around it.

A chain on a chainsaw, although dangerous, would like just come apart and perhaps hit the chain break. Admittedly I have never hit a nail and have cut lots of wood in my day.

/ Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo
We had a very busy weekend. Got the Machine Painted, Fixed a hydraulic leak on the 450 and cut a good pile of wood.

Attachments

• Busy Weekend 003.jpg
    Busy Weekend 003.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 689
  • Busy Weekend 005.jpg
    Busy Weekend 005.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3,020
  • Busy Weekend 006.jpg
    Busy Weekend 006.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Busy Weekend 007.jpg
    Busy Weekend 007.jpg