Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Farmall 450-B-H

Default Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo

I just built a Buzz Saw- Wood Splitter combo rig. I had the arbor, blade and splitter but wanted something transportable and pto powered. Engine was bad on the splitter. Bought the structural steel locally and picked up the tires- rims and spindles from the boneyard.

Pics are before the painting. Tried it out and the saw works great. Hums right through 12 in oak and maple. Splitter runs too slow though. I might need a bigger pump.

I have about five hundred in the whole thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -todds-stuff-008-jpg   -todds-stuff-033-jpg   -todds-stuff-011-jpg   -todds-stuff-015-jpg   -todds-stuff-016-jpg  

-todds-stuff-018-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1999 Cub Cadet 7260

Default Re: Buzz Saw- Splitter Combo

I see this is your first post, so let me be one of the first to say Welcome to TBN! Glad to have you aboard. Please update your profile to let us know where you are from.

Your new unit looks interesting. I often wondered how I could mate my buzz saw and splitter into one unit to make my wood cutting / splitting less time consuming. Couple of questions - once you've cut up some wood with the buzz saw, I'm guessing you simply push the blocks to the other end of the table, and then go around and split them up. Is that how you are using it? If that is so, are you concerned about that saw blade being so close to the blocks waiting to be split? Maybe it isn't a concern, but the picture makes it look like they are pretty close. I think I'd want to build a sheet metal guard that closes in the blade on the splitter side of the unit.

Don't let my comments or questions take anything away from your unit. You've given me a few things to think about regarding my own stuff. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Corm

Tractor
    NH TC45

Corm - he's got a guard on it -- take a closer look

tj -- REALLY COOL! I WANT ONE WA-A-A..... I'd bet something like that manufactured would cost several thousand.
    what about hooking the splitter up to your tractor hyd?
    Mike

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

yeah, that looks to be a great setup! i'd like to see some better pics of it out in the sunlight......or a youtube video would be great!
    TC45 Shuttle, 270 hours, 758C backhoe, 16LA loader

Well, I looks like I just bought myself a lot of work.....

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1999 Cub Cadet 7260

You're right! I missed it! My bad...

Corm

Tractor
    Farmall 450-B-H

Thanks for all the advice. I will take pics this weekend of the project now that the painting is completed. I run this off of a Farmall B with no hydraulics.

Tractor
    Kubota B7100

I ran one of those saws a lot of years ago until it showed a tiny almost invisible crack found by my 93 y/o neighbor.
    He then explained why he was so crippled and had that large scar on his neck because his old saw had exploded on him despite being warned about a crack on his similar saw blade.
    I wasn't able to find a replacement blade for mine, so that ended that.

Really liked using it until then though.

Please be careful out there.

Best regards
    Sherweld

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

I concur with Sherweld - buzzsaws are really dangerous especially if you have no guard for the blade. A good friend of mine had a friend who was using a buzzsaw and it hit an imbedded nail. The blade came apart and the guy was killed by the flying shrapnel. The nail could not be seen as the tree grew around it.

A chain on a chainsaw, although dangerous, would like just come apart and perhaps hit the chain break. Admittedly I have never hit a nail and have cut lots of wood in my day.

Nice project.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Farmall 450-B-H

We had a very busy weekend. Got the Machine Painted, Fixed a hydraulic leak on the 450 and cut a good pile of wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -busy-weekend-003-jpg   -busy-weekend-005-jpg   -busy-weekend-006-jpg   -busy-weekend-007-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast