A Small dump trailer build

/ A Small dump trailer build #1  

AKwelder

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, 1953 International "Super C"
This spring I was laid up for a couple of days and found a ATV size dump trailer for sale on the internet, and decided I could build one. My wife is in to gardening and composting and I constantly need to haul supplies or dirt. We also have several horses and we haul manure out of the paddock every spring. Currently I use my FEL and it has a very small bucket. ( one argument for the new tractor but that is another story)
I started with a couple guild lines.

-Must be able to go behind my 700cc quad(maybe not fully loaded)

-Since my tractor does not have a rear service it needed to dump on its own, I did not want to buy a electric hydraulic unit so I decided it needed to use a log ram bottle jack like on a cherry picker.

-I liked the 4x6 size of the unit on the net sooo..

-dual axles for the tongue weight and heavy loads

- Try not to tie up a lot of cash
So here is the final build before decking and paint
I think that It might work well for hauling firewood to the house and yard chores. And maybe even save my poor tractor a couple trips with a full bucket.

Attachments

• PA100092.jpg
    PA100092.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 18,974
  • PA100099.jpg
    PA100099.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 21,931
   / A Small dump trailer build #2  
Looks like quality workmanship and a good design. Hats off to you for a good job. What size is the cylinder?

If you don't mind I'd like to steal the basic premise and make one for myself. Maybe a little bigger but that's all we would need around my place. Need it rugged for gravel and not too big for space reasons.

/ A Small dump trailer build #3  
Be interested to see how that handles turns.Seems like you would drag the front tires a lot.

/ A Small dump trailer build #4  
I have a dump trailer and find that I need every degree of tilt it can muster to unload. I think you will find that 45 degrees is not enough for anything offering much stiction (sticky and or friction.) Firewood is not a challenge but dirt, manure, and other stuff involved with gardening will require shovel work if the tilit angle is not great enough.

Nice looking job from what I can tell in the photos.

Pat

/ A Small dump trailer build #5  
Looking good. I am toying with the same idea for a while now.

Did you consider using wider wheels for soft ground? The reason I am asking is I got two wheels like yours from a buddy of mine and I am not sure it is the right thing for a backyard dump trailer.

/ A Small dump trailer build
Answering a couple questions,

The cylinder is a hydraulic jack, the type you find on a common cherry picker, I got this one for $35 at a garage sale a couple years ago, and now I can tell my wife "see I do use the junk,er items I buy and store".

The tires are wide snowmachine, quad trailer style, and the front does scuff on tight turns, I already see that a longer tongue is needed. But was concerned about being to big. I thing I cut this one to short and thing another 12 to 18 inches are needed. How is my next issue.

Now to the big question, will it dump dirt, Not very well is my guess. I used to work in gravel pits and ready mix plants. Several reference books list the tipping angel of earth as 30-32 degrees. Yet every dump truck and trailer I have used has lifted much more. I hope that the angle will be enough to work fair. I used a metal floor and have read a couple threads about slick paint helping. I also have glacier silt, gravel and sand for soil so I hope this will help.

As a note, I placed a rub on three sides. hopefully I can use simple side boards to stop every thing from just dumping

/ A Small dump trailer build
Has anyone found a good source for electric hydro units? I would love to use a regular hydraulic cylinder, but there are none available here for less than a grand. and northern tool and the rest will not ship here unless it is 2nd day air. that makes it very cost prohibitive. A sissiors dump would be perfect, but getting one to use a hydraulic jack has been difficult.

/ A Small dump trailer build #8  
Put a cheap plastic tarp on the bottom before you load and your dirt should slide out much easier witha minimal tilt. If you leave it up over the front of your box you can easily grap the front and with a few tugs you got your trailer emptied!

/ A Small dump trailer build #9  
I see a problem besides not having a steep enough angle for dumping dirt is the back end of your dump needs to be at the end of the pivot.

I have repaired many homemade dumps because the very back is past the pivot point of the dump. The entire load may get hung up and rest on the overhang bending the frame of the overhang.

/ A Small dump trailer build #10  
If he made the extension strong enough (unlikely!!) then he could use a comalong under the bed to raise the bed. However, the mechanical disadvantage of this would require a comalong with serious intentions and the bed braced extremely well.
David from jax