Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires

Default Re: Best way to start burn pile

In my younger days, we used treated wood pallets.

No need to break them up since they are slatted they contribute to better air movement. The treatment on the pallets was soooo flammable that 4-6 stacked on top of each other made a fire with 20'-30' flames. Of course, after a little experience and deciding to get to work instead of playing, we settled in with the normal, using a couple pallets layed out as the base of the burn pile. When alone, I used a fire starter log stuck between the slats of the pallet, and when I had an audience, I usually used white gas and threw a match.

I haven't had a real need for a burn pile in a while, so this thread caught my attention (appreciate learning from all). We have been on a new piece of property for a couple of years, and now have 3 VERY large debris piles that I am ready to eliminate and beyond tired of seeing. I'll probably wait until late fall when the leaves are gone and some of the summer dryness has been wetted.

Since my property is surrounded by the homes of 3 different firemen, I suppose that I'll pay respect and involve them; I'm sure they have opinions and would come running if they weren't, at least, informed if not consulted.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

This type of thread has been on here a couple of times and from a legal standpoint a propane roofing torch (weed Burner) and a leaf blower is hard to beat. I have started wood pulled from beaver dams with the roofing torch and once a brush pile is going it will burn. As for the less "green" approaches, I have tried styrofoam melted in gasoline (makes poor mans napalm), carpet , carpet underlay, tires, cardboard, packing peanuts, motor oil, cooking oil, old hay, diesel and sawdust, wax, dryer lint, a plastic basket ball net holder, dried cedar branches, old oil based paint, (most of the above as well in various combinations) and a few other things. I have not found that they have any distinct advantage over the roofing torch and some distinct disadvantages like smell and smoke. --JMHO
    Last edited by studor; 09-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

In many states, there are bills just waiting to go before state legislators which will end outdoor burning. Air quality issues will likely rule the day. Of course, nature burns all the time, what with forest fires and volcano eruptions. Just saying. You younger folks will probably live to see the day arrive when the question of how one starts a burn pile is no longer asked.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Quote Originally Posted by bp fick View Post
    Just saying. You younger folks will probably live to see the day arrive when the question of how one starts a burn pile is no longer asked.
    That would be something... kids starting a highly illegal burnpile as an act of rebelly, instead of robbing old ladies or car jacking... I doubt that day will ever come.
    I'll keep on burning as long as the "Red Rooster" has appetite...
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy, needs time !

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by bp fick View Post
    In many states, there are bills just waiting to go before state legislators which will end outdoor burning. Air quality issues will likely rule the day. Of course, nature burns all the time, what with forest fires and volcano eruptions. Just saying. You younger folks will probably live to see the day arrive when the question of how one starts a burn pile is no longer asked.
    It's possible.

My prediction is that everything will come full circle. When the landfills are full of loose branches and leaves someone will come up with the brilliant idea that it's more "green" to burn it and keep the landfill space for other stuff.

I've never had a problem lighting a burn pile, but I usually plan some air pockets into the pile as I'm gathering it. Of course I usually have at least a few pine branches. I light those.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210, John Deere Z820A, John Deere 345

Had a friend show me his way to get a good burn. He took kerosene/diesel/white gas and poured a ring around the base of the pile. Then he took an old disposable drink cup and filled it with the kerosene etc., and then tossed it on top of the pile as close to the center as possible. After letting the fuel drain through the middle, he would then use a propane torch to light the ring around the bottom from upwind.

It usually will take a minute or two for the ring to reach the middle of the pile, and when it does, it creates a chiminy effect, burning straight up the middle. The burning pile then collapses into the middle, and you can soon begin to push the bottom inward with your FEL or rear blade after it has burned down to a safe level. This method has worked very well for me, as it will promote a good burn fairly quickly.

I seem to recall seeing something that someone made which was like a piece of 6" or 8" metal pipe about 6' long on some sort of stand that they used for a chimney for burn piles, but can't remember where. Does anyone remember seeing anything like this? Would be interested in knowing how well it works.

Just one more word: NEVER use a gas powered tractor to push a burn pile. Learned that when I was younger when we occassionally had a wheat field catch fire. Keep any gas powered vehicle at a safe distance.

GGB

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

I frequently burn piles in the winter when they are covered in snow -- poke a hole in the side and on the top, light with the torch and the snow acts like a furnace! The method leaves very little to clean up in the spring and there is very little danger of it getting out of control. I have used a drum as a chimney to burn stumps but have never seen the need for a chimney pipe in a burnpile -- once it starts in the center it acts like a chimney by itself.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1520

this was our fire over the weekend. A little diesel on the top. started on the top and worked its way down.

And I had a legal burn permit. pics to follow sorry.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1520

pics attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -fire-1-jpg   -fire-2-jpg   -fire-3-jpg  

Well, I've got to tell a story about a burn pile my buddy Arnie and I started about 50 years ago!!
    This is the honest to God truth and everybody says I should send it to Jeff Foxworthy.

We had cleared a bunch of brush on his grandfathers farm and had piles scattered around the pasture. One of the piles was about 20 ft from the fence that bordered what we called the parking lot. The parking lot was just a couple logging trails that weaved through the woods and couples used to go in there day and night for various reasons. Some said it was to watch the submarine races!!! I'm still puzzled about that because the only water we ever saw there was some puddles after a rain storm.
    Anyway, one evening we were working in the little junkyard we had in one corner of the pasture and it was about dark and we were finishing up when car headlights swung into the parking lot and backed up near the fence where the brush pile was and turned out the lights. We had to drive right by there on the way out, so we decided maybe we could see some submarine races too. We stopped a ways back from the brush pile but we couldn't see any water or boats, so we decided maybe some light would help. Got a 5 gal can of gas off the back of the truck, walked over, doused the pile good and ran a trail of gas back to the truck. Well, it was a couple minutes before we found some matches and lit our end of the gas trail. KAWOOOOMMP!!!, picked that pile up about 6 ft and lit up the pasture like noon!!! Instantly 2 heads popped up in the rear window of that car with eyes as big saucers. Must have been awful hot in there watching those races though, cause the guy dove over into the front seat, neaked as a Jay bird, started that car and skeedadled it out of there with gravel flying everywhere. We watched and waited till the fire died down and went home. Never did see any submarines!!!
    Smiley

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast