Truck canopy removal ?

/ Truck canopy removal ? #1  

Willl

Elite Member
My new (to me) truck.

For canopy removal, my only options at the moment are calling in 3 friends or running down to 'canopy corral' and have them forklift it off and store it.

How are others removing their canopies ?

Last edited:
   / Truck canopy removal ? #2  
I lift mine off upon my shoulders, centered under the top. Walk it right off onto a portable (casters) Gorilla (brand) shelf that is about 6' high. Set it on the top part. Done deal.

The front end loaders can be used with fork extensions.

For me, just as easy and quick to offload on my shoulders. Mine is fiberglass and isn't that heavy.

/ Truck canopy removal ?
running down to 'canopy corral' and have them forklift it off and store it.
Well, that's out. Just called them to find out what their fee was and was told "no longer offered"

I lift mine off upon my shoulders
That ain't happening. I'm guessing mines around 250-300 lbs.

/ Truck canopy removal ? #4  
I lift mine off upon my shoulders,

I too, have removed mine in this manner, and it was a heavy A.R.E. work top with side doors and bins,

If you build a rack about 3 to 4 inches higher than your truck bed and back up close to it you can get inside and raise the back of the canapy and slide it onto the rack. Just go a little at a time and you can do it.

/ Truck canopy removal ? #5  
I built a set of A-frames, and used a pipe and ropes to lift the top up. I'd lift it a little and put a 2X4 under it, tie the ropes to the pipe, and turn the pipe with a crank to raise the top. I just let it hang there unless the weather was rough.

/ Truck canopy removal ?
I was wondering......I've got this gizmo and a 7' piece of 2" receiver stock.

Can ya hear the gears turning ? :eek:

/ Truck canopy removal ? #7  
Or use a large tree limb.

Attachments

• Picture 101small.jpg
    Picture 101small.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 651
   / Truck canopy removal ? #8  
Just get a a buddy to help. You on one side and him on the other and take it off. I use to set mine on our picinic table it fit perfect to keep it off the ground.

/ Truck canopy removal ?
Just get a a buddy to help. You on one side and him on the other and take it off.
That's what my brother and I do with his canopy.

His is a little shorter in height, and yet I still end up adjusting my shorts afterwards. It's heavy. I can only guess mine is even more.

/ Truck canopy removal ? #10  
Well, that's out. Just called them to find out what their fee was and was told "no longer offered"

That ain't happening. I'm guessing mines around 250-300 lbs.
Well, without getting into personal stuff, I lift weights as a hobby so maybe I may have made assumptions without thinking.

I have a Leer top, glass all around and I suspect this one will go 200 + lbs but it isn't that bad lifting it just off the bed and then back a step or two at a time. Just saying....

About the only time I remove mine is to wax it and clean out the bed of the truck. I remove it even less (than the previous top) since I got the fold-down front window in the top, allowing access to the outside of the front topper window and the outside of the rear cab window, for cleaning. Best option I have ever seen for a topper.