if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #21  
I have a little info to add to your build. I worked as a mechanic for a company that sold them, however i usually worked on screens, so i dont have alot of knowledge of the crushers.
Heres a link to a PDF with some good cut away images of eccentrics and the lower jaw mechanism. It might help with your design.

http://www.miningandconstruction.sandvik.com/Sandvik/0120/Internet/Global/S003713.nsf/Alldocs/Products*5CCrushers*and*screens*5CJaw*crushers*2ACJ211/$file/Sandvik%20Jaw%20Crushers_EN.pdf

On a related note, i looked up the company that i think you work for Translated version of http://www.werklust.nl/ Is that correct? If so your machines have some very unique features. I especially like the swivel loader arms on the material handlers and loaders "Zwenkladers? " like the sl655. Good Designs.:D

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...
Scooby, how did you figure the company i work for ? i cant remember i said it here.. on the other hand, Holland has only one manufacturer of heavy duty loaders, so finding that wouldnt be hard either... ;)

Anyways, the Paus light duty swivel loaders, we are a dealer for them. We only build the bigger 10.5 to 17.5 ton models, the heavy duty ones.

The 12 ton hydrostatic Paus swivel loader didnt comply to the standards that a Werklust customer expects: Werklust loaders will spin all 4 tires on a dry concrete test track with a full bucket of ballast, the hydrostatic loaders dont give anywhere near that traction power. we stopped selling this 10/12 ton model and are developing our own 10 and 12 ton swivel loader models. Development started way before i began to work there 2 months ago, so i havent been involved in the design (yet). The prototype is under construction, and when its done, i will have to do the final production drawings.

This type of machine is very popular at pavement companies that pave with bricks: unlike other countries, Holland doesnt pave small roads and yards with concrete, crushed rock or asphalt, but with 10x20x7 cm paving stones because all our utility lines are mostly underneath the pavement.

Thanks for helping me out with the design: i see Sandvik uses double row spherical roller bearing.. SKF recommends them on their website for steel mills and other low rev, high load applications... i will dig into bearings later, first i need a housing design..

Last edited:
   / if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #23  
Werklust loaders will spin all 4 tires on a dry concrete test track with a full bucket of ballast,
Very impressive. I used to work on Volvo Construction Equipment, but i never had the guts to try that on dry concrete.:eek:

Holland doesnt pave small roads and yards with concrete, crushed rock or asphalt, but with 10x20x7 cm paving stones because all our utility lines are mostly underneath the pavement.

Thats an interesting idea.I can see how that would benefit the utility companys. It also would be beneficial to highway repair with the stones standard size, although i dont suspect your roads get as damaged as ours do over the winter.

Thanks for helping me out with the design: i see Sandvik uses double row spherical roller bearing.. .

No problem. I cant wait to see the pics of the completed unit! Sorry i didnt have any real hands on information to give you. I do remember assisting one of the guys with a bearing once... heavy and expensive :D

I tracked down your company via a discussion here on TBN where you mentioned one of the loaders you manufacture , i hope you didnt mind.

Very impressive. I used to work on Volvo Construction Equipment, but i never had the guts to try that on dry concrete.:eek:

We are building a product for our local Dutch market only: Dozers and graders are rare in Holland, all this work is done with the 10 to 15 ton class of universal loaders with bucket quick attach. Also a typical Dutch thing is using a wheel loader with a jib mast, a wheel loader can drive with a load, which a boom truck or AT crane cant. Working a jib with a loader with Z-kinematics is a real pain because it gives poor control of the implement tipping. Our parallel loaders give a strong tipping torque in the entire tipping range. Also, a Werklust has a lot of force when the bucket is fully tipped: If wheel traction doesnt help anymore, agricultural contractors can get their silage trailers unstuck by hooking a chain to the Werklust fully tipped out bucket, and just roll the bucket back.

The high tractive force also has to do with what a loader is used for in Holland: Silage pit rolling requires an efficient driveline: Off course, spinning 4 wheels on a concrete test track with ballast, isnt a real life situation, but on dirt, it can generate 100% of its traction for extended periods of time, without overheating the converter or transmission.

Thats an interesting idea.I can see how that would benefit the utility companys. It also would be beneficial to highway repair with the stones standard size, although i dont suspect your roads get as damaged as ours do over the winter.

paving stones are used only on small slow traffic roads (speed limit 60 km/h) However the county has paved asphalt over worn out existing country roads, because the manual labour is getting expensive, its hard work.

I wouldnt bet on it, that your roads suffer more during winter than ours: I dont know where you live in America, but at our family in Canada when it starts freezing it keeps freezing. In Holland we have many days that are thaw, with freezing nights. Its the freeze/thaw cycle that cracks up roads, every day the water sinks into the crack, at night the water freezes and the crack is pushed a little wider...

I tracked down your company via a discussion here on TBN where you mentioned one of the loaders you manufacture , i hope you didnt mind.

No i dont mind, its just that i want the freedom to express my personal opinion on things, when i get known as "the Werklust engineer" people will take my opinion for as i was speaking for the company. I mean, when i am asking around about a specific type of loader (which is mostly just personal interest) people could easily draw their own conclusions from it... The world is very small and rumors take off fast, especially over the internet.

Off course i am proud of having the one but best job in the world, but i'd like to keep that separate from my hobbies, like TBN and building machinery. ;) :D

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #25  
I wouldnt bet on it, that your roads suffer more during winter than ours: I dont know where you live in America, but at our family in Canada when it starts freezing it keeps freezing. In Holland we have many days that are thaw, with freezing nights. Its the freeze/thaw cycle that cracks up roads, every day the water sinks into the crack, at night the water freezes and the crack is pushed a little wider...

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada so im quite familiar with the freeze/thaw cycle and the damage it does to our roads:eek:.Concrete "paving" is the answer, but the provincial government has only done test sections (which are holding up quite well) and wont commit the money to make concrete the standard for new construction:(. They'd rather patch old asphalt than fix the problem withe concrete. Front end alignments are almost as common as oil changes on vehicles in the spring:D.

Thanks for the insight on how things are done differently in Holland. Its interesting to see how loaders are used as tool carriers over there. This concept is beginning to take hold here in Canada. Most companies in my experience run a limited number of attachments, basically just forks, blades (snow) and sweepers with the odd non-hydraulic jib and small surface miller thrown in. There is still lots of potential here.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #26  
Well this sounds like an interesting project!! I have more rocks than any one person should be allowed to have,, the biggest problem with them is they are totally useless, not big enough for anything and not small enough for anything,,,, now if I could crush them into a useful size at least I could use them on the driveways instead of paying to have them removed and paying to have stuff brought in. Whatever ideas anyone has I'm all ears! Unless it involves swinging a hammer to bust them up,, not into that idea.

Well now..... The sizes you mention here are just the right size many of us are looking for. The size you describe are just small enough to walk over and/or through, and just large enough to say we twisted our ankle on them and had to return to the living room to watch TV....LOL

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #27  
Sorry to bring up an older subject, but I am wondering how the jaw crusher has been progressing or if the project ever got off the ground. I am semi interested in this as I always have a need for an extra load of gravel and have an endless supply of rocks. I thought i could have a use for something like this and enjoy the challenge of designing and building a new project. I am basically looking to get information before investing a bunch of time of $$ into something like this.

No, no progress...

I did get an offer from someone who is interested in selling the drawings of his former business, of commercial sized crushers.

It requires a bunch of steel to do it well, i dont want to invest my money into a hand-fed flimsy thing. If too little is spent, it will be a "not good, cash gone" project. If i do it right, i'll blow my savings on 3 ton of machined steel, which is not worth it.

As some other members might remember, i have some projects to finish:

-finish my new muck spreader
-rebuilding the engine, and painting my 3011
-finish my tractor scraper/grader
-finishing the dirt buggy
-convert the JF straw chopper and Jeantil feeding bin, into a straw bale processor

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #29  
I saw this thread and it reminded me that there is a guy on heavy equipment forum that built one. It fit in his pickup. I think he uses it for concrete on building sites. I think he was posting about a JCB 1x skidsteer backhoe. I will try to find it later.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #30  
Hi Renze, just found your thread from outside doing google searches on jaw crushers. I sure wish I had one, I have endless rows of rocks in my fields and piled around the perimeters.

Looking into it further, an FAE type 3 pt hitch stone crusher would be a faster solution in my fields, not requiring collection.