if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...
So there are more people fascinated by the idea of making a machine that can crush rocks, hundreds of thousands of cycles, without breaking itself... just think about that, and others might understand the fascination :)

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #52  
So there are more people fascinated by the idea of making a machine that can crush rocks, hundreds of thousands of cycles, without breaking itself... just think about that, and others might understand the fascination :)

A couple weeks ago, I had 51 tons of crushed graded stone delivered for just under $1,000,,
That price included spreading to my specifications.

If you built a crusher, where would you get 51 tons of raw material?

Does anyone have any idea how much labor is involved in loading 51 tons of rock,,,
repeatedly until you have the right size?

A had 17 tons of crushed rock delivered for my SIL while he was on vacation.
When I called to tell him the stone was on its way, he questioned whether he should get two loads.
When he got home, he stated the 17 tons was WAY more than he expected.

If the year were 1880,, the DIY rock crusher MIGHT be a good idea,,,

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #53  
A couple weeks ago, I had 51 tons of crushed graded stone delivered for just under $1,000,,
That price included spreading to my specifications.

If you built a crusher, where would you get 51 tons of raw material?

Does anyone have any idea how much labor is involved in loading 51 tons of rock,,,
repeatedly until you have the right size?

A had 17 tons of crushed rock delivered for my SIL while he was on vacation.
When I called to tell him the stone was on its way, he questioned whether he should get two loads.
When he got home, he stated the 17 tons was WAY more than he expected.

The problem for most people (not sure about OP/Holland) is not that gravel is expensive, it's that getting rid of concrete/stone debris is. I only pay about $250 for 18 yards of gravel a single truck at a time. I pay way more to get rid of busted concrete from my property.

You are soooo missing the point of my latest post.. Sometimes you travel to commute, some travel for the sightseeing: There is no logic economic explanation for sightseeing because its purpose is not to get you from A to B, yet many people spend time doing it.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #55  
Fun reading. Renze, longer bushings don't increase the unsupported distance between them, do they? The shaft could be two meters long and still have a short length between bushings, no? Did I miss something?
Jim

Yes. The shorter the distance between the main bearing and the eccenter bearing the lower the bend stress. The bearing force takes on in the center of the bearing so when you use very wide slide bearings you get more bend stress than when using narrow roller bearings just an inch apart.

A center bearing makes very little difference in bend stress but it takes high edge loads nonetheless.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #57  

Apparently. :laughing: