if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
if i wanted to build a jaw crusher, what material thickness would i need to get a machine that reaches its optimal output when powered by 50 to 70 PTO hp ??

In my area, all rubble recycling is done in some centralised plants. I want a small PTO powered crusher to recycle old pig barns, and then put the machine up for rental. However, because its a long time ago i saw one from up close, i cant envision the scale i should be working with... My neighbour once rented a 400V 3 phase machine that could take a brick at a time... that doesnt work, but a 16x20 inch opening would be useful around the farm, and also attractive for rental.

Did anyone else ever build a rock crusher from salvage parts ?

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #2  
The one I ran for a summer had a deeply corrrugated surface, and was "high magnesium" steel according to the owner. It didnt move very far, maybe 2 inches, from open six inches to open four inches, driven by a very large flywheel. This one was about three feet wide. Sorry, I can't help with jaw thickness. Here's an idea though. Find a fairly local source of scrap machines, buy one that needs a lot of help but contains all the right stuff. It would be a lot easier to replace worn thru housings, and re-bearing stuff, than to start from scratch. Good luck.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...
Jim i would if i could... but all thats available is industrial sized stationary equipment, which they still want 60.000 Euro for, or a small electric one that can take one brick at a time...

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #4  
Renze I have worked on a small one the county used to rent it was powered by a hit and miss Whitt engine. I thnk about 10 HP. I built up a part of the jaw. aome coleector had it shipped up north. It had a short stroke crank that gave the top of the movable jaw about 4 inches of travel. I thing the bottom only had about a 1/2 inch. The county used it to break clinkers up at the gravel pit. This was way back in the day when a D4 pulled a Russel grader. The jaws wre manganese steel but once had been rebuilt with old Die plates. it just worked on a peice braking it down towards 3 inches I think It took 15 inch material. One was also constructed by a small 4 ton stamping press with a 3 inch stroke. They welded up the clutch and put a drive off an electric motor on it. It was made to crsh up bricks and insulators, and ceramics at a craft shop. Iv e been looking for them because I had another smaller press they were interested in.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #5  
When I worked on a job in China they had lots of little crushers scattered around crushing rock for the concrete pours at site. A guy would carry a rock up to it, biggest I saw wouldn't be much bigger than your head, and toss it in. The single cylinder engine would bang away for a few revolutions and about 1-1/4" rock would fall out the bottom. These things had real heavy looking flywheels on them which I think is why they could run with such a small engine. With only one or two guys feeding them they had enough recovery time between rocks.
I would be interested in the crusher with the flywheel but not the engine so I could run it with the PTO. I've spent some time researching on the internet but so far haven't found anything close.
The title of the thread drew me in, sorry I can't contribute much to it. I'll be watching the thread, I would probably try to buy a small unit before building one but building one would be interesting too.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #6  
Here's a old rock crusher from a steam power show in upstate NY. The actual crusher part is under the table. I think it was run by a stationary engine but could be driven by PTO. A better look at one of these might kick up the creative juices.

Dean

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #7  
oops, I didn't attach it right

Dean

Attachments

• 2008_0607_Gas_Up_0008.jpg
    2008_0607_Gas_Up_0008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,891
   / if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #8  
Well this sounds like an interesting project!! I have more rocks than any one person should be allowed to have,, the biggest problem with them is they are totally useless, not big enough for anything and not small enough for anything,,,, now if I could crush them into a useful size at least I could use them on the driveways instead of paying to have them removed and paying to have stuff brought in. Whatever ideas anyone has I'm all ears! Unless it involves swinging a hammer to bust them up,, not into that idea.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher...
How jaw crusher works? - Liming Heavy Industry

I read the trick is to make the jaw not just pivot, but also move up and down slightly so that the rock "rolls" between the jaws while the jaws move closer together.

I still havent seen any material thicknesses of a machine in the described size category.

/ if i wanted to build a jaw crusher... #10  
Thought of this thread yesterday while I was at the Green Industry Expo. They had one of these machines there, with a video of it running. About the size of a small car.

It was pretty impressive, and I forget the name but I am sure it was European.

I will try and look for it or if you search Green Industry Expo Louisville, I am sure they are listed.

I would say they were feeding it concrete chunks about 12" X 24" X 6" (round about guess, nothing factual. It looked impressive too me.

Personally though, I think this is one of those things that works well on a large scale, but is just not practical on a small scale.