backhoe log splitter

/ backhoe log splitter #1  

wowbw7

Bronze Member
could use some input on a project I've had bouncin' around in my head. I could use a log splitter as I plan to start heating with wood next winter. I own a late '60's john deere industrial backhoe. so I thought to save $ I could utilize the hydraulics to fab up a splitter using one of the stabilizer cylinders (4" X 20 or so inch stroke). my thinking is to just lower the stabilizer, disconnect the outward pin-to-foot pin, lift up that end of the cylinder and attach it to my fabricated bed, attached somehow to the bachoe. i would need a support for the outward end of the bed, of course. I thought of attaching the splitter wedge to the cylinder rod and a solid flat end to the far end of the bed so I don't have to go chasing after the split pieces. I'll try to attach some pics from a 3pt splitter on Ebay that looks like what I'm trying to do and also a pic of the back of my hoe. anybody ever tried this approach? thanx for any help in advance

Attachments

• 82c0_12.JPG
    82c0_12.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,505
  • ea8b_12.JPG
    ea8b_12.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 2,471
   / backhoe log splitter #2  
Seems like a lot of monkeying around.

Why not just build one like in picture 1?

Also, the cylinder should be at least 4". Any smaller and the wood will win.

jb

/ backhoe log splitter #3  
I've ofter dreamed of a way to split wood from the seat of a backhoe. A search with google found this.

YouTube - Backhoe Wood Splitter 2

This is not what I envisioned though. My thinking is a scissor like device that splits using the curl piston on the BH.

Dean

/ backhoe log splitter #4  
hmm - just thinking outloud here - how well would a brotek ripper and thumb would work ? if the thumb was changed out to a wedge shape instead of flat teeth and the ripper grinded to a blunt cutting edge ?

/ backhoe log splitter
hey, fellas. thanx for the input. jb, I'm retired, so I have plenty of time to monkey around. and cost is a concern. i love to recycle and use what ever is available. it just makes sense to me to use the hydraulics on the backhoe and by using the stabilizer, the control handle is within easy reach. the 4 inch cylinder is a concern, but the largest wood i would be splitting is maybe a 12 inch chunk of elm. do you think it can handle it? i don't know, as i've never split wood before. that youtube video is interesting, but it would be tough to get the wood split into the size pieces you'd want, i would think. if i go with the 3pt type as in the pictures, i would have to get an I-beam about 6 feet long. anyone know what size to look for? 6 or 8 inches wide? 8, 10 inches high? or is there an alternative to the I-beam? so many questions.....

/ backhoe log splitter #6  
My only quam would be safety. To operate it effectlively to split wood, you'd have to be on the ground. And the only place to have your feet on the ground and hand on the control lever is behind the machine, standing next to the boom. If you bump that swing lever the wrong way...

Or you'd be jumping back and forth from the cab to the ground.

Or you'd be trusting someone else, sitting in the cab, not to wack you with the bucket.

/ backhoe log splitter #7  
crashz- why would you need to be on the ground ? if the tractor is next to the pile and you can pick it up with the backhoe and move to the splitting pile, you could split the wood right there then move back to get more ETC. there would be no safety issues involved since you oare sitting in the backhoe seat away from the wood. did you take a look at the you tube video that was posted earlier ? When i said i was thinking out loud - the bucket could be swapped for a splitter wedge and the thumb bracket should be a blunt wedge as well . using it like a scissors action- you be able to split apart the big stuff without picking it up. Boy that would be a time saver. If you already have a wood splitter or go old school with splitting maul- the broken up wood pieces would be easier to manage. :D

/ backhoe log splitter
crashz... safety is a big concern for me also but in this case it's not a problem. the backhoe has 2 safety pins. a 1 inch pin is dropped into a hole running thru the swivel plate on the boom and another hole in the tractor mount itself, eliminating the chance of boom swing. another pin does the same for the boom so it can't drop. both are, I believe, to prevent any accident , should a hose break or cylinder fail during transport. the handle controlling the stabilizer is the short one closest to the cylinder, so it's within easy reach from the ground. maybe you can see it in the third pic i posted.

/ backhoe log splitter #9  
Radioman - I didn't watch the video. But I was initially thinking the same thing. If you could mount a splitting head in place of a bucket and have a thumb or grapple that is strong enough to hold the wood in place it would be the cat's meow. You could probably split as fast as two people with saws could cut and save all the back breaking of lifting and/or rolling huge peices of wood to place on the splitter.

Wow- I'm familar with the boom locks on my fathers Cat 416, which are totally effective, if you remember to put the pin in place.

/ backhoe log splitter #10  
Talking about safety .... I hope I dont offend anyone, but there seem to be a few issues with the splitter in those pics. The welding on the flare plate on the wedge does not seem to have penetrated very well, and IMO the angle iron on the cylinder is too thin with no gussets. In fact, in the one pic it even looks like it is bending, which will start to put an uneven load on the bolts. I would be worried about a failure right there.