My Home built Loader

/ My Home built Loader #1  

rhamer

Silver Member
A few people here have been very helpful with answering various questions about my FEL project, so I thought I would post a few pictures of the work so far.

Normally I like to complete the project, then show it to the world, that way if it is a complete disaster, I can toss it in the corner with all the other disasters and know one has to know :)

However I thought I would be a bit different this time and post as I go. Of course it could still be a disaster, but I hope not.

When deciding to build my own loader, the main reason was because I wanted to. I also thought it would be cheaper, but that is yet to be proven.

I built the loader arms out of 75mm x 125mm x 6mm tube. I cut a wedge out of each side and welded them back up to taper them (because all the pro built ones have tapered arms so I'd better do it also). They are currently still in 4 pieces, as I needed to build the bucket to work out the spacing and angles and so fourth.

The bucket is primarily made out of 6mm plate, but will be appropriately reinforced as needed. It has been quite a challenge to work out the geometry of the 4 in 1 as I've only got pictures from the internet of various other buckets to get ideas from. At first I thought they would all be much the same, but every manufacturer does it differently. So I just made it up. It looks so far like it will work ok, but time will tell. I had previously built a 900mm wide bucket and a quick hitch for my backhoe, which was a walk in the park compared to this one, even though it was curved.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the work so far.... Be gentle, it's my first time :)

Cheers

Rohan

Attachments

• DSCN1114.JPG
    DSCN1114.JPG
    727.6 KB · Views: 1,045
  • DSCN1115.JPG
    DSCN1115.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • DSCN1116.JPG
    DSCN1116.JPG
    712.5 KB · Views: 650
  • DSCN1118.JPG
    DSCN1118.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 1,016
   / My Home built Loader
Here are a few more pictures of the Bucket as I progress.

Of course it's only lightly tacked together for now, until I'm happy that it will all work as it should.

Cheers

Rohan

Attachments

• DSCN1125.JPG
    DSCN1125.JPG
    680.9 KB · Views: 598
  • DSCN1124.JPG
    DSCN1124.JPG
    689.7 KB · Views: 461
  • DSCN1123.JPG
    DSCN1123.JPG
    739.1 KB · Views: 708
  • DSCN1122.JPG
    DSCN1122.JPG
    732.1 KB · Views: 583
   / My Home built Loader #3  
Tell us a little about the welding table. It looks a little different!:D

It's always nice to see pictures of work in progress.:D

/ My Home built Loader #4  
What size tractor is it going on?

/ My Home built Loader #5  
rhamer

Thats some nice work so far. Hope it all goes well for you.
I'm also from Victoria Australia. I'm a little up north of you.
Keep up the great work :)

apprentice.

/ My Home built Loader #6  
Excellent fabrication Rohan!

/ My Home built Loader
Tell us a little about the welding table. It looks a little different!:D

It's always nice to see pictures of work in progress.:D

The Table is made from 32mm laminated particle board that I aquired a while ago.
The story goes like this, the company I was working for at the time, was moving offices and they were clearing out the old floorspace and trashing the desks etc. I couldn't bear to see it thrown away, so my wife and I did about half a dozen trips at 1.5 hours each way and brought as much stuff home as I could. Of course all the other office folk laughed at me and thought I was stupid, but I have been making stuff out of it ever since.

I made a frame with retractable wheels out of 50mm square tube and fitted the various desk panels to the top. I then covered it in a cement sheet to protect it a bit.

It is low, so that it can be used for building on, and is rock solid when on it's feet. I have built a whole trailer on it then just popped it up on it's wheels and pushed it out under my gantry and lifted it off.

I actually thought I had some photos of it when I first made it, but I couldn't find them.

Cheers

Rohan

Last edited:
   / My Home built Loader
What size tractor is it going on?

Here is a picture of the tractor, its a kubota L1802DT and yes it's red.

And just for good measure a couple of others of the trailer that I made as well.

Cheers

Rohan

Attachments

• DSCN0961(edited).JPG
    DSCN0961(edited).JPG
    944.9 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCN0962(edited).JPG
    DSCN0962(edited).JPG
    923.6 KB · Views: 846
  • DSCN1080.JPG
    DSCN1080.JPG
    742.7 KB · Views: 488
   / My Home built Loader #9  
That is a good looking trailer. Will be interested in you loader pictures.

/ My Home built Loader #10  
Thanks for the information rhamer. :D

Life without a little scrounging would be dull.