Biggest forks ever

/ Biggest forks ever #1  

AKwelder

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, 1953 International "Super C"
They had me build these monsters at work for a special application. Sorry about the poor quality pictures.
The picture of the weld is the 90 degree point of the fork. The small circle is a quarter.
The two welds on the forks took 77 pounds of wire, and three 10 hour days. Each fork is 8 foot long 30 inch high and 2 1/2 inches thick.

they ordered the T-1 steel from the east coast, and had it milled so the forks taper the last two feet to 1 inch thick. All the welds were inspected and UTed for safety by a 3rd party company.

They fit a large front end loader, a Volvo 180 or something. I also attached a quick coupler

Attachments

• PA160117.jpg
    PA160117.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • PA110101.jpg
    PA110101.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 886
  • PA160122.jpg
    PA160122.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 867
   / Biggest forks ever #3  
Each fork is 8 foot long 30 inch high and 2 1/2 inches thick.

Didn't you mean 30 inches wide instead of high? It was over 25 years ago when I was in charge of the police auto pound that I bought a forklift with forks that were 11 feet long, but they weren't extra wide like that.

/ Biggest forks ever #4  
OK I just have to ask:
What was the finished weight?

/ Biggest forks ever #5  
Very impressive.

I'm also wondering what they weigh and how you move them around?

Eddie

/ Biggest forks ever #6  
Good grief! What does the company who ordered these forks intend to lift with them?

My guess, something HEAVY!!

Maybe a mother-in-law mover?

jb

/ Biggest forks ever #7  
Nice job! Those things must weigh nearly a ton each.

What size MIG did you use, and what preheat and postheat was required for the T-1?

/ Biggest forks ever #8  
They fit a large front end loader, a Volvo 180 or something. I also attached a quick coupler

Where i work, we build loaders from 10.5 to 17.5 metric ton. A customer that places the beach houses and icecream stores etcetera on the beach during spring, (and takes them away from the beach before storm season) has some of our 17.5 ton models with extra ballast, to take these 10 ton mobile homes off the trailer and lower them on the beach.
The loader is our model WG 45E, which equals a Volvo L120.

The forks you show there, seem a bit over the top for an L180 loader: i guess them to be more like the size for an L 350 loader...

/ Biggest forks ever #9  
beautiful looking weld, but I thought forks were cast? or some other way of making them 1 piece.

/ Biggest forks ever #10  
beautiful looking weld, but I thought forks were cast? or some other way of making them 1 piece.

most standard forks are cut and bent/forged.

Big forks, made in small quantities, are often welded. Also because the thicker slab of metal has more deformation in the bend, which can cause the bent metal to form hair cracks during bending.