Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
Hi there everyone. I've been gathering the structural steel to make a log splitter and am getting ready to start putting it together. I've been looking at the 4.5x24 Splitter Kit (item #1147-1806) from Northern Tool & Equipment. My question is for anyone who may have a Northern log splitter or bought this type of splitter kit. I need to know how wide (and if it is adjustable) the beam slide is on these particular brands.

I was going to use a 4x4x3/8 structural steel tube instead of the typical I beam. If i'm going to buy the splitter kit from NT&E, i will have to weld a plate to the tube so the wedge can slide.

I'm new to this site, and any guidance to recent log/wood splitter projects or photos or website for supplies would be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.
-Lance

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #2  
If you are building it from scratch, morphing it to adapt a "kit" might create issues(or it might work just fine). Once I cook up a plan, I might modify it on paper, but once I start getting steel and building it, I rarely make changes and run with the plan unless I have really made a large error that will prevent completion or operation(which is why mine spend so long in the CAD program:)). If the kit was designed for "I" beam, then you may have issues...

I am not familliar with the kit you are talking about, but I have found Northern to be a little pricey on their stuff. Have you tried Burden Surplus Center? Burden Sales Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More

You should be able to get cylinder, valve, hoses, fittings, and even tank and filter assembly from them.

Good luck with your project.

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #3  
here's my homemade job i built from a late 60's model that was rotted out and buried in 100' of briars for 30 plus years. new pump, valve, hoses, motor, all from northern tool. all i kept off the old one was the beam, cylinder, and tires/wheels. lots of welding time later, i think it is somewhere around a 25 ton. built way tougher than what you can buy at a box store, I have a little over 500$ into her, got the shell for free. it will split horiz.and vert. it is a splitting MACHINE! can cut clean through a piece of maple AGAINST THE GRAIN!

Attachments

• logsplitter.jpg
    logsplitter.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 11,803
   / Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #4  
I built a log splitter from scratch, I purchased parts from all over, I got the cylinder brand new from e-bay for $100, the hydraulic oil tank I made from a 10 gallon air tank I bought at wal-mart on sale. the 13 gallon pump from surplus supply, the wheels and axle where from a pull behind trailer for motocycles, the engine was a honda look alike and it runs great for 130.00 (brand new) and the steel I found at a construction site who dismanteled steel buildings or bridges. The key here is not to be in a hurry to buy all your parts, and you will be able to build it pretty cheap. I went to a local rental supply store that rents out splitters and took measurements on theirs, I modified it a bit, I didn't want to stoop over all day splitting wood, and I also built a removable table so that the split wood didn't fall on my wifes feet...she was more likely to help that way. It works great and I would do it all over again.

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #5  
The 4.5" Cylinder can produce 24 tons of splitting power at 3,000 psi. The 4x4x.375 tube is really undersized for that splitting force. For a 24 ton splitter, we would recommend the following options for the splitter backbone:

HSS 6x6x1/2 (Tube - Grade A500-46)
or
W6x25 (Wide Flange - Grade A992)

Either option can handle the 24 tons with an 8" high wedge. Don't under-size the splitter backbone. The above sizes are calculated based on a 24 ton splitting force and an 8" high wedge.

Good Luck!

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts
Thanks for all the input. I'm anxious to start building one, but I know that I need to take my time and slowly aquire parts so that i dont have to spend so much money.

I keep hearing about the 6x25 wide flange I beam, but I hadn't done any calc's yet on the required size of the back bone. I can get my hands on a 6x6x5/8 HSS but i'd rather use the wide flange. I'm planning on building a 'table' approx 2.5'x3.5' to mount the hydraulic tank and engine-what are you guys using for the top? Any close up pictures? I've gone to TSC and similar stores to look/measure/absorb their design, but I want to have my own. I've seen some pretty good designs from the pictures I have looked at. Does anyone know where i can get a parts list or a sneak peek at something similar to the "design your own log splitter" pamphlets I've seen on ebay and NT&E?

Keep the info and pics coming. I really appreciate all the input.
Thanks,
Lance

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #7  
Here is picture of a factory built Spliter With 4"X4" tubing. It might give you some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    773.5 KB · Views: 19,916
   / Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #8  
I built my own splitter a few years back. It runs off the tractors hydros. I pieced it together and have $425 plus 2 cases of beer in it.

It will go vertical also by pulling a pin and standing it up. I have since put on log catcher on the opposite side of the valve.

Chris

Attachments

• logsplitter.jpg
    logsplitter.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 9,051
Thanks for the pictures fellas. I've been researching the timber devil and powersplit models. Another guy on here has created his own version and i really like his log lift. I like the idea of having a 'table' to split on that is at waist height. The engine and hydraulic oil tank are protected under this table. The original models are self propelled, but i think i'll just make it bumper pull. I like the idea of having a shorter beam that is vertical. Anybody else built anything similar to these that has pictures they'd be willing to share?

Firewood Splitters, Processors, Powersplit International
Les Equipements Forestiers TIMBERDEVIL inc.

Has anyone priced the basic models from the manufacturers?
Thanks,
Lance

I'm still trying to design this thing, so I figured I'd give this thread a bump...