Landplane

/ Landplane #1  

ShaneD

Tractor
Kubota 3430DT
I'm thinking about building one of these and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. The owner of this model said it went for over $3K new. I'm thinking I can save a few bucks if I build it myself.

Landplane - a set on Flickr

Any info would be helpful. Pros, Cons, Etc.

Thanks

/ Landplane #2  
I built one similar to that one in a rush one night to fininsh a sodding job. They work really well one planning out humps int tops soil or sand. the only thing on mine was that I didnt have any straight cutting edge. I just had some with a slight curve from a Cat grader. I needed it over night so I made a mount to clamp it to my Skid steer bucket. The curve blades wanted to dig in so I took som flat stock and trimmed it itn 4 stripps and welded them to the bottoms of the edges to make it ride flat. I also copied a part where some of the bottom had 1/4 thick expanted metal on the bottom. It helps grate some of the soil off and any rocks or roots that ride up over the front edge. when it got full you could drive over to spoil pile and shake the bucket and sift out the good from the trash.
Its saved alot of time on the finish 1 inch grade of the top soil coat on the gravel yard.

/ Landplane #3  
I am ignorant on this .... so would you use it with the skid steer going backwards or forwards? (or do you use it both ways?)

/ Landplane #4  
I've had good results towing a wooden pallet with some weights on it. Quick, easy, cheap. A metal "pallet" would last longer but the wood ones do last a decent time even grading a shale gravel driveway. There have been several post on TBN. Do a search, try "pallet drag" or here.

/ Landplane #5  
I've had good results towing a wooden pallet with some weights on it..
Here is mine.
Even have it rigged up so I can lift it with the 3 point.
That makes it real nice to turn around and go back the other way.
100_2557.jpg

Dragging
100_2556.jpg

Lifted and turning

100_2554.jpg

After dragging.