Do scrapyards still take scrap ?

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #11  
I have been to some of these financial seminars and to my mind they don't have any better indicators of the market than you or I. They start out with " I can get you 9% on your investments " so I say.... put it in writing and then comes the long pause......... They are after the commision rate for bringing in the business and I am willing to bet others in the backround make the final decisions. If they knew beans they would borrow a huge chunk of cash and multiply it over and over again. They would not bother trying to con you or I out of 10k at some hokey low dollar restaurant free meal gimick. I think most aspire to be used car salesmen.

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #12  
they still take it in the UK, we have been scrapping a lot of stuff latley

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #13  
That's very interesting Darryl. Just wondering...has the price of new metal gone down? If I wanted to buy some angle iron, for instance, is the price now cheaper than a year ago?

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #14  
That's very interesting Darryl. Just wondering...has the price of new metal gone down? If I wanted to buy some angle iron, for instance, is the price now cheaper than a year ago?

If you go to a non-retail establishment (not TSC, Menards, etc) you should have room to dicker.

jb

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #15  
Locally, they are still taking scrap, however they wont send their grapple truck for anything less then several tons. They have quite a stockpile of steel and are waiting on the price rise. They are also sitting on their aluminum and copper.

Worked out good for me as i needed some thick pieces of aluminum. :D Usually they would have sold it a day or 2 after it came in.:p

Prices (around $1.30/lb) at my local steel retailer havent reflected this downturn in scrap prices. Im still paying the same as i was when scrap was way up.:mad:

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #16  
I use to set purchasing dept. prices on steels for the company I worked for. I watched A500 sq tube 2x2x3/16wall go from $1.47/ft to $3.48/ft in 6 months. Around 2002ish China was buying scrap like nuts. They had ship anchored offshore to get unloaded. Fast forward to now...I read steel plants in China are slowing or closed due to the global economy!

Steel here were $200 a ton this summer. I know steel was $325 a ton in Columbus due to a friend there. What they are now do not know, but I am going to the steel yard soon. :D

Dan

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #18  
I was at the scrap yard last week picking up some stuff for a project, and saw several people unloading scrap. I don't know what they were getting for it, but there was a big sign in the office stating "PRICES ARE DOWN!"

I paid .25 cents a pound.

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #19  
In some ways I wish the price of scrap had dropped a whole lot sooner, i.e. before salvage cars became worth so much and before thieves stole one from me.

The steering linkage was shot but it had an excellent rebuilt motor, good transmission, and good differential which I intended to reuse in a street rod. Because it was an older vehicle the sheriff's department spent little time on it.

Now I have a 1946 Ford pickup without a proper street rodding engine. Guess I'll just stick with the Merc. flathead V-8 for now.

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #20  
In central Texas a vehicle sold as scrap metal is now down to 1 cent a pound (in late October).