Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements

/ Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements #11  
Looks a little freaky, Mr. Jennings. I'm sure it works like a top, but I was a little scared of it at first. Then I got this Rube Goldberg-esque feeling about that clothesline contraption.

I like the one that attaches a splitting blade to the outrigger. Elegant simplicity. I'm wondering if my Woods BH6000 has enough ooomph for that.

/ Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements #12  
I like the one that attaches a splitting blade to the outrigger. Elegant simplicity. I'm wondering if my Woods BH6000 has enough ooomph for that.

+1... someone needs to tell eddie about this... lets see him rig it up on his full size machine.

/ Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements

The outrigger cylinders positioning gives them a big disadvantage mechanically, especially with small lightweight tractors. Tough wood, large wood won't split that easily. The cylinders are not able to apply most of their force in the correct direction.

If you are just playing at it though I suppose they're OK for non-serious wood splitting of small, straight grained easy-to-split stuff.

/ Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements #14  
...non-serious wood splitting of small, straight grained easy-to-split stuff.
Or my little, itty-bitty logs. I cut my stock to about 12" to fit in my itty-bitty fireplace.

My outriggers pick up the rear of my tractor with backhoe attached without much problem...figure 800# of backhoe and another 800# at the heavy end of the tractor. Totally agree the mechanical advantage is to the Log's benefit, but with a thin maul, it just may work. Worth a shot, anyway. I'm just a guy with a bunch of trees/logs trying to find another use for my cute little tractor. And my wife hates me swinging the axe...makes me wear a hardhat.

/ Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements #15  
F.L., i figured a way to make your cable rig adjustable, which i think i'll try on mine. if each cable is, let's say, 20 feet long, make it 10 ft of cable attached to the lever on the tractor, run thru the pulley that is attached to the top of the outrigger, then have a clip on the other end. then replace the remaining 10 ft with a light weight chain attached to your control lever. the outriggers could then be left in the full upright position, with the length of control cable being adjusted by attaching the clip to a link in the chain. to use the splitter vertically, simply shorten the chain.

F.L., i figured a way to make your cable rig adjustable, which i think i'll try on mine. if each cable is, let's say, 20 feet long, make it 10 ft of cable attached to the lever on the tractor, run thru the pulley that is attached to the top of the outrigger, then have a clip on the other end. then replace the remaining 10 ft with a light weight chain attached to your control lever. the outriggers could then be left in the full upright position, with the length of control cable being adjusted by attaching the clip to a link in the chain. to use the splitter vertically, simply shorten the chain.

I've found that the control works better if it has some slack in it. A banjo string tightness is stiffer to use.

There are all kinds of ways to run the cables. I've just overhauled mine and put the cross bar for the cables below the operating handle. A vee shape of the cable bar puts it toward the tractor and away from you. You could also;

1. Make the control in such a way that you use an up or down to reverse rather than back and forth.

2. Rig it up for a foot control so your hands are free.

I split a rick of 24 - 28" dia. Red Oak yesterday afternoon. It looked like this before I cut it into 16" long "cookies."

09-08-08offload020.jpg

09-08-08offload021.jpg

I just increased the length of my splitter wedge from 14 to 17" so the it would shear the loose top fibers of larger wood.

Here in a plan view is the operation, splitter is set about 30" above grade to reduce bending over.

1. operator stands beside wood ramp/work table and loads wood into splitter.

2. Retractors bring wood back so you don't have to bend over to pick it up. Support on either side of wedge contains the split wood (see original color graphics. I widened both of these to help contain larger wood when it is first split. the large half moon pieces of 18" tended to fall off of the splitter. Now they stay on. Large half pieces on the operator side I lay on the work table as they are retracted. The retracted pieces on the far side are flopped back into the splitter cradle for another pass or two. I'll place pieces two deep and come up with for pieces to save cycles.

On my tractor I set the rpms at about 1400 for a decent extend.retract time. It will split larger pieces with the tractor at an idle, but the cycle time is too long for me.

3. Larger pieces that have been split can be laid on the wood to be split.

4. pieces split that are OK are tossed into a pile, trailer etc.

5. I generally load a good amount of wood onto the ramp (which has been set near to horizontal) this is a combination of rounds and large pieces which I may have had to bust up with wedges and maul.

6. the operating handle is above the incoming wood and is out of the way as are operating cables.

Splantest-1.png

Last edited:
   / Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements #18  
Wow!
Peter

/ Backhoe Wood Splitter Improvements #19  
I know the torsion would be great, but you could link your ramp to the outrigger of the BH and use it to lift the "ground" end of the ramp to near horizontal to allow for easier loading onto the splitter.

Love your design by the way. Gives me great ideas!

I made an alternate control arm yesterday. A horizontal pipe shaft running through a sleeve welded to top end of pipe stanchion. A vertical 6" arm is at each end of the horiz. pipe, one pointing up, the other down. A horizontal operating handle with a wood grip is welded on to the horizontal, rotatable pipe. Cables attach to the short vertical arms. With this arrangement I can operate the splitter with an up-down motion rather than a back and forth movement. Works OK.

I never quit tinkering but am always trying to make things a little better.

Now, if I can make a short conveyor using a car engine starter with rpm's reduced for the drive and lugged link chain so all I have to do is roll a large piece onto the frame and let the lug carry it up the incline to the horiz. part.! I can carry a 12v battery anywhere and it's not running continuously and will power the starter all day.