I've been offered a welder - comments?

/ I've been offered a welder - comments? #1  

Workstead

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1010, MF 1250 with MF1246 Loader
The welder is a Lincoln TM-300/300. It's an AC/DC that is rated at 109 amp draw at 220V.

It is big and heavy but is on wheels and has loooong leads with it. I don't know the age of it.

I have an AC buzz box type welder and a MIG welder. I like the idea of DC but is this welder worth $300?

I plan to make some 3 point brackets for various tools as well as mounting a set of forks, with its mounting frame, to a 3 point hitch.

Thanks for your input.

Clem

Last edited:
   / I've been offered a welder - comments? #2  
If you get this welder you'll likely retire the buzz box once you experience DC welding. Add a high frequency unit, watch for one on EBAY, & you can do TIG. I have a similiar sized Miller which I run on a 60 amp breaker as I don't need the entire 300 amp output. In September the Lincoln was worth $300 for scrap. Parts & operator manuals online at Lincolnwelders.com under "knowledge". MikeD74T

/ I've been offered a welder - comments? #3  
You have been offered AT NO COST, a welder? And now your asking whether or not you should take it? You are joking right? Let me think now, you coulod graciously accept the gift, or you could say no thanks and not take the GIFT.

If you accept the gift, and do not like it after using it....you could simply sell the thing at a yard sale, or on some auction sight. Wow, the huburis, trying to decide whether to accept a gift.

/ I've been offered a welder - comments? #4  
The welder is a Lincoln TM-300/300. It's an AC/DC that is rated at 109 amp draw at 220V.

It is big and heavy but is on wheels and has loooong leads with it. I don't know the age of it.

I have an AC buzz box type welder and a MIG welder. I like the idea of DC but is this welder worth $300?

I plan to make some 3 point brackets for various tools as well as mounting a set of forks, with its mounting frame, to a 3 point hitch.

Thanks for your input.

Clem
I would say it was worth it if you have the juice to run it. And you have a way to move it. They weigh about 800 poounds.

/ I've been offered a welder - comments? #5  
sounds like a good deal but way more welder than you will ever need. like I always tell my wife don't buy something just cause it's on sale.

I've got an ac, a dc and a small mig, the little buzz box by far gets the most use.
JB.

/ I've been offered a welder - comments?
You have been offered AT NO COST, a welder? And now your asking whether or not you should take it? You are joking right? Let me think now, you coulod graciously accept the gift, or you could say no thanks and not take the GIFT.

If you accept the gift, and do not like it after using it....you could simply sell the thing at a yard sale, or on some auction sight. Wow, the huburis, trying to decide whether to accept a gift.

Hey Warren,

I wasn't clear in my post. It was offered at $300.

I don't have any hubris! :)

Clem

/ I've been offered a welder - comments? #7  
IMO it is worth the $300, assuming you have it lying around or you can scrape it up from somewhere without putting the family out.

sounds like a good deal but way more welder than you will ever need. like I always tell my wife don't buy something just cause it's on sale.

I've got an ac, a dc and a small mig, the little buzz box by far gets the most use.
JB.

JB,

My wife tells me the same thing that you tell your wife. The guy now has it hooked up to a 50 amp circuit breaker. I don't think I would ever need 300 amps but I do like the DC feature, I think. I am only a beginning hobby welder and the time I used his welder to do a job for his grandfather, I liked they way it operated. Easy strike and really nice looking welds. Better than my buzz box in both the ease of strike and the way the weld looked. It seemed like the weld was also deeper.

Clem

If you get this welder you'll likely retire the buzz box once you experience DC welding. Add a high frequency unit, watch for one on EBAY, & you can do TIG. I have a similiar sized Miller which I run on a 60 amp breaker as I don't need the entire 300 amp output. In September the Lincoln was worth $300 for scrap. Parts & operator manuals online at Lincolnwelders.com under "knowledge". MikeD74T

Thanks Mike,

He is using a 50 amp breaker and I have space in my breaker box for a 50 amp breaker. He is also willing to include the outlet and about 20' of electrical wire with it.

I recently bought a junk walk behind fork lift and was going to sell the frame and parts I didn't need. When I checked the price of scrap I decided to make use of the frame for a balast box. The bottom has dropped out of scrap. I read somewhere that some scrap yards aren't even accepting scrap metal. How fast things change.

I just got the manual from your reference.

Tell me more about the high frequency unit.

Clem

Last edited:
   / I've been offered a welder - comments? #10  
Workstead, A high frequency unit changes the characteristics of the weld current to make it easier to start & maintain the arc. TIG is a high precision, clean, flexible process that's not difficult to learn but takes a little more equipment. TIG will do everything the homeowner wire feeds are bought for but won't do, and a lot more.

280289262424 is an example of an EBAY item availible. They come and go. Search for "frequency" and Lincoln,Miller, Century, etc.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/prl/documents/html/TIGweld.htm is a TIG primer.

www.millerwelds.com/om/o610g_mil.pdf is a typical HF unit owners manual.

I talked to a guy Saturday that took 1700 lbs of scrap in last week and didn't get enough to cover his fuel for the trip. MikeD74T