Gravel Saver / Guage Wheels - Rear Blade

/ Gravel Saver / Guage Wheels - Rear Blade #1  

nate_m

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Gravel Saver / Gauge Wheels - Rear Blade

Are we tired of seeing gauge wheel builds yet??? I hope not because here's my version of this TBN classic. :D

Materials:
  • 3" x 5" x 3/8" angle iron
  • 1-1/4" schedule 40 galvanized pipe
  • 1" threaded rod
  • 700 lb steel casters
I welded a 1" nut & washer to the caster mounting flange.
The 1" nut on top is welded directly to the pipe. The 1" nut on bottom is loosened to make adjustments to the height.

With the wheels adjusted all the way down, the blade stays about 1.5" above the surface. This is to keep my gravel in the drive when plowing snow.

With the wheels adjusted all the way up, the blade will take about a 2" bite. Probably more than enough for my needs.

WARNING: For my first attempt, I used 350 lb iron casters with solid rubber treads from Harbor Freight ($6 ea). These didn't last one trip down the drive before the rubber was gone and so were the hub bearings! :eek:
For my second attempt I used a set of 700 lb solid steel castors from TSC ($25 ea). Way more expensive but these have grease zirks for both the wheel hub and caster. After multiple trial runs up and down the drive, they are still holding up well. ;)

I'm happy to report that even with the short distance between blade and wheel, they do just fine for keeping the blade from digging in. My drive is now perfectly graded without a single ripple. :)

Cheers.

Attachments

• RB1 sm.jpg
    RB1 sm.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 549
  • RB2 sm.jpg
    RB2 sm.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 385
  • RB3 sm.jpg
    RB3 sm.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 341
  • RB4 sm.jpg
    RB4 sm.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 342
  • RB5 sm.jpg
    RB5 sm.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
   / Gravel Saver / Guage Wheels - Rear Blade #3  
Very efficient design.

When I saw, "gravel saver," that caught my attention. Thought you had invented an entirely new attachment.

/ Gravel Saver / Guage Wheels - Rear Blade
My apologies for mis-spelling the Title of this thread.
Anyone know how to edit the title :confused:

Nice work, like the fine adjustment feature.

Thanks.
In the gravel, the ability to make fine adjustments probably won't be noticed much. But I imagine that this could be helpful on a paved surface as it is much more consistent.

Very efficient design.

When I saw, "gravel saver," that caught my attention. Thought you had invented an entirely new attachment.

Thanks.
Saving gravel in this case just means keeping it out of the yard.

/ Gravel Saver / Guage Wheels - Rear Blade #5  
I sure like your adjustment scheme! You can see that I went with the close proximity bracket too but with 8 inch steel wheels. Seems stronger with less flex.

No doubt about it, wheels save the gravel.

Attachments

• Cnv0030.jpg
    Cnv0030.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 395
Well, you caught me, bigdad. :D
I actually used this pic that you posted some time ago as inspiration for my build.

A hybrid between yours and the OEM version that Woods sells. (This pic was originally posted by Nik) Thanks Nik.

It sure helps to have pics of how people do things with what they have on hand or what works for their situation.
Although trial and error can be fun sometimes, it tends to burn up a lot of time and money. Two things that are in short supply these days.

Keep those pics coming, no matter how mundane. You never know when you'll inspire someone to build just what they need. :cool:

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 291
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 334
   / Gravel Saver / Guage Wheels - Rear Blade #7  
Nate.....

I like yours better! Well done!

I feel kinda bad, I forgot about posting that previous one. Duh.

Nate.....

I like yours better! Well done!

I feel kinda bad, I forgot about posting that previous one. Duh.

No harm, no foul ;)

And, Thanks again.

We are supposed to get several inches of the white stuff today here in southern Ohio. Maybe I can finally get to try them out in the snow.
You can only plow air for so long... :D