Another set of forks

/ Another set of forks #1  

jimmer2880

Platinum Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota BX1830
This forum gives me entirely too many ideas. One of those ideas, was to start storing my firewood on skids (still building those). To move those skids/pallets, meant I had an excuse for some forks for my tractor :)

Because my tractor is only a 19hp, I wanted to make my forks for the 3pt. I looked for used forklift forks for several weeks, but couldn't come up with anything at a decent price (under $200.00). However I did find a used 5,000lb pallet jack for $50.00 (it even works).

What luck I thought, this will be a simple job. I have about 3 hours into the task and only have paint and paint prep left to go.

The forks work great. However, of the 2 pallets I have at my house, the forks won't fit 1 of them. Guess I'll have to be a tad picky on which pallets I use for the bottom.

IMG_3234.jpg

/ Another set of forks #3  
Great use of a salvaged part, originally that had wheels on the front for weight carrying support. not sure how much it can handle like that but should be no problem for pallets of firewood.
JB.

/ Another set of forks
Great use of a salvaged part, originally that had wheels on the front for weight carrying support. not sure how much it can handle like that but should be no problem for pallets of firewood.
JB.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I was concerned about that as well. But, then I started doing math. 5,000lb capacity spread across 3 points (2 legs and the big wheels). My little yanmar can't have more than 1,000 lb lift capacity at the 3pt. I went to look at the pallet jack, and it's fairly heavy duty. Then I figured - "If it bends - I'll fix it".

This past summer, I made an adapter that goes where my 48" bucket pins to the FEL. This adapter (like others on this site), allows me to put 3pt attachments on my FEL. My FEL only has a 1,000lb capacity (Koyker 80). I love having the forks on the front, but doubt I'll use it much as that's just too much weight on the front wheels.

/ Another set of forks #5  
Geez Jim......... now you are gonna need a hydraulic top link so you can have true forklift "action".

We have found Jimmer's next project ! ;)

/ Another set of forks
Geez Jim......... now you are gonna need a hydraulic top link so you can have true forklift "action".

We have found Jimmer's next project ! ;)

The tractor is for sale, otherwise I would have the hyd top link this winter. For now, that will have to wait until I can get this one sold and the new one purchased :)

thanks for the kind words :)

/ Another set of forks #7  
This forum gives me entirely too many ideas. One of those ideas, was to start storing my firewood on skids (still building those). To move those skids/pallets, meant I had an excuse for some forks for my tractor :)

Because my tractor is only a 19hp, I wanted to make my forks for the 3pt. I looked for used forklift forks for several weeks, but couldn't come up with anything at a decent price (under $200.00). However I did find a used 5,000lb pallet jack for $50.00 (it even works).

What luck I thought, this will be a simple job. I have about 3 hours into the task and only have paint and paint prep left to go.

The forks work great. However, of the 2 pallets I have at my house, the forks won't fit 1 of them. Guess I'll have to be a tad picky on which pallets I use for the bottom.

IMG_3234.jpg

I did the exact same thing years ago. Since I got my PT, I haven't used the old pallet forks. I built my own pallet to fit.

/ Another set of forks
Update: I built my first firewood pallets after seeing someone else on here do it. It turned out better than I thought. I used 48"x48" top and bottom pallets and 48"x42" side pallets, standing 48" tall. Then, I nailed some thick plastic I had left over from previous projects to the top.

I figured that I have a smidgeon under a 1/2 cord of oak loaded up. I did some quick research and found that a cord of dry oak weighs about 3,000 lbs. Going off those numbers, I have about 1,500 lbs of weight on those forks and they did great! Unfortunately, that is about 100 lbs more than what my tractor can pick up :) I was able to move it the 100 ft I needed to go, using the brakes to steer.

Here's a pic. All-in-all - I'm glad I went with the pallet jack and it appears to be able to stand up to anything I'm going to do with it.

IMG_3238.jpg

/ Another set of forks #9  
Where is the painted version? It will look like a new implement when done. If you get an old steel door, add some brackets to go over the forks, you will have a large carrier.

/ Another set of forks
Where is the painted version? It will look like a new implement when done. If you get an old steel door, add some brackets to go over the forks, you will have a large carrier.

It's still not painted (wanted to be sure it wouldn't bend under load). That will probably wait until it gets a tad warmer around here before it gets paint. Good thing there's room in the garage :)

That's a great idea on the steel door. I'll have to ask around to try to find one.